I propose that page creation be restricted to registered users only.
The main reason for this is that most IP user page creation is vandalism. I will
make a list of count anon spam pages v anon kept pages later.
If anyone has a good reason to allow anon users to create pages, please post it - if not, I'll contact wikia staff in one month.
This may not be possible, but in case it is, I want to get the ball rolling. I was previously under the impression that wikia would never do this, and I would have done this over a year ago if I'd know it could be done. -452 02:08, September 6, 2012 (UTC)
- Counting anon deleted articles is more difficult than I anticipated. What I can easily see is that there have been over 200 pages deleted as vandalism in 2012 - I don't know exactly how many were created by anon users, but I would assume at least 150 of them.
- Of existing articles created this year, 23 were created by anons and 70 were created by users.
- If the major complaint against blocking anon users is that "23 anon users have created required articles."
- There is a problem with the complaint, because they didn't create very good articles. They just created articles which were not deleted.
- Sometimes, empty articles are immediately deleted, but other times, empty articles are soon improved by another user.
- The first article created by an anon this year was 100% Completion - something which had already been discussed, but they created an empty article, which I immediately updated as it was something I was planning to create soon anyway.
- The solution to this problem has already been discussed, and put to a poll (Read poll comments for extended discussion)
- We can create stub articles for all valid articles, this will ensure that any anon user who wants to add information on a valid subject can do so.
- Anons will still be able to add red links to articles in order to propose future articles, which will appear on Special:WantedPages, and if it is a valid topic, then someone else will create a stub article.
- I am a supporter of the "create stub articles" idea, as it also reduces the potential for page-creation vandalism.
- -452 19:02, September 9, 2012 (UTC)
- Today, I am contacting staff to request that page creation be restricted to registered users. -452 00:28, October 13, 2012 (UTC)
- I have been informed that this has gone through and page creation is now restricted to registered users. I assume that this also means newly created accounts cannot create pages until 7 days, which is how it works when a page is "semi-protected".
- I have also been informed that restricting page creation isn't often granted, but that in this case the points I've made above helped convince them.
- In this light, I think it's best that we go ahead with creating basic stubs for valid entries and introducing a new "new article" template, as previously discussed.
- I'll also add something into one of the policy pages explaining the page creation policy. -452 23:25, October 18, 2012 (UTC)