Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
You can see the changes by clicking here.
I'm glad you asked! It's news here because several "local rules" are now "global rules".
Here are some highlights, which were already against the local policies here, and for which I will now be reporting to Wikia Staff, rather than just blocking locally.
- "It goes without saying that harassment, threats, bullying and intimidation are not okay."
- The Saints Row Wiki has previously had a policy of year-long blocks for any harassment.
- "Respect people's privacy"
- Privacy invasion comes up surprisingly infrequently, but I've always classified it as harassment anyway.
- "Attribute fairly" - "it's always polite to give the proper attribution."
- We've had problems now and then with people not attributing content, so it's great that this is stated.
- "no language or content that disparages others on the basis of their race, gender, sexuality, religion, country of origin and so on."
- More than "language or content", the policy of this wiki is still "no discrimination of any kind".
- "On most wikis, this includes nudity (including bare breasts and butts). Artistic nudity may be allowed - for example a classical painting, or a small amount of nudity from a game screenshot. "
- We've previously had in-game images of Shaundi randomly deleted by Wikia Staff, so it's great that that this language specifically allows nudity in game screenshots.
- "Content that describes violent or non-consensual sex is expressly prohibited."
- I'm worried about the Rectifier, since it's a tool for violent rape, which has already been determined to be against similar laws forbidding such depictions.
- "Don't do anything illegal on Wikia, or encourage other people to."
- While this goes without saying, I've contacted Wikia Staff to ask what discussion is permitted, and they've confirmed that it's perfectly fine for people to admit that they are "pirates" and to discuss things which are possible in "pirated" games, but the line is drawn at encouraging people, or providing instructions.
- So, the Saints Row Wiki policy remains the same: no links or instructions to break laws or EULAs.
Summary: The Saints Row Wiki doesn't discriminate. It doesn't matter where you are, what platform you use, or how much you paid for the game. What matters is that you're a good contributor who provides valid information and doesn't discriminate. :)
- I've just been informally notified that Wikia will allow discrimination against someone who has "green hair": because there are no laws protecting people who have green hair against discrimination.
- The Saints Row Wiki will not allow this, or any other, kind of discrimination.
- The Saints Row Wiki policies are in place because all discrimination is morally wrong, whether or not it is against a law.
- 452, 2014-05-20T17:55:10Z
- I've been thinking about this some more recently, and Wikia's position on this is a little worrying.
- By saying that they only care about discrimination towards legally protected classes in the state of California, they are implying that they are only forbidding discrimination against them because it's against the law, and that Wikia Inc and Wikia Staff would be fine with that kind of discrimination if it were not against the law.
- I don't think that's a good position to have, so I want to make this very clear:
- I do not need a law to tell me the difference between right and wrong.
- I am anti-discrimination, regardless of what the law says.
- Even if it was not against the law, I would still not allow discrimination on the Saints Row Wiki against people based on their race, gender, sexuality, hair colour, religion, country of origin, what platform you use, how much you paid for the game, and so on.
- 452, 2015-01-08T18:08:44Z (last edited: 452, 2016-03-11T16:09:03Z)