Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Categorising images has never been a high priority around here, as can be seen on Special:UncategorizedFiles
A few years ago, a Wikia staff member dropped by with a bot and automatically categorised all existing files into Category:Images and Category:Sound files, but that hasn't happened since.
The only image category I personally care about is Category:Non-article files, which contains images solely for user pages, or for behind the scenes use. Files in this category are excluded from the Template:Random/Image and a few other places.
I realised recently that I can mass-add the "Images" category myself, but there's really no benefit to that, so I haven't done it.
A month or two ago, someone added every single picture of Shaundi, ever, to the Shaundi article. That was undone, because having a slideshow of 100+ images isn't really useful.
However, some people might want to actually see "every picture of Shaundi, ever", so perhaps this could be solved by using categories.
I can, fairly easily, automatically categorise all images on the wiki. The question is: how specific should the categories be?
- Missions: Should all Mission images just go under "Category:Mission images", or should they go under "Category:Mission images/Brotherhood"?
- It seems worthwhile to split mission images by Gang.
- Characters: Should every character get their own category?
- "Category:Character images/Shaundi" seems worthwhile, but "Category:Character images/Richie" doesn't
- Perhaps only a category if the appear in multiple games? Does Legal Lee count? Where do we draw the line?
- Should all characters who don't need dedicated categories, like Richie, just be put into "Category:Character images", or "Category:Character images/Saints Row 2 misc"?
- Vehicles: "Category:Vehicles" seems fine, unless we split by game, which isn't easy for vehicles in multiple games
- Weapons: "Category:Weapons" seems fine, unless we split by game, which isn't easy for weapons in multiple games
- Activities: "Category:Activities" seems unnecessary.
- Locations: Includes all Stores and Neighborhoods. I can't really see any good way to split them into specific categories.
After discussion to decide how specific the categories should be, I'll do this.
- I can only automatically do images by the article they're currently in.
- So, while mission categories should be easy, character categories aren't - because I can't automatically categorise images in mission articles by character. (I can do it semi-automatically if the filename contains the character name)
- What we really need is someone who is interested in dedicating some time to going through a bunch of images and categorising them.
- I can generate lists of image links for easy access.
- 452, 2013-11-17T18:10:27Z