Categorising images has never been a high priority around here, as can be seen on Special:UncategorizedFiles
A few years ago, a Wikia staff member dropped by with a bot and automatically categorised all existing files into Category:Images and Category:Sound files, but that hasn't happened since.
The only image category I personally care about is Category:Non-article files, which contains images solely for user pages, or for behind the scenes use. Files in this category are excluded from the Template:Random/Image and a few other places.
I realised recently that I can mass-add the "Images" category myself, but there's really no benefit to that, so I haven't done it.
A month or two ago, someone added every single picture of Shaundi, ever, to the Shaundi article. That was undone, because having a slideshow of 100+ images isn't really useful.
However, some people might want to actually see "every picture of Shaundi, ever", so perhaps this could be solved by using categories.
I can, fairly easily, automatically categorise all images on the wiki. The question is: how specific should the categories be?
- Missions: Should all Mission images just go under "Category:Mission images", or should they go under "Category:Mission images/Brotherhood"?
- It seems worthwhile to split mission images by Gang.
- Characters: Should every character get their own category?
- "Category:Character images/Shaundi" seems worthwhile, but "Category:Character images/Richie" doesn't
- Perhaps only a category if the appear in multiple games? Does Legal Lee count? Where do we draw the line?
- Should all characters who don't need dedicated categories, like Richie, just be put into "Category:Character images", or "Category:Character images/Saints Row 2 misc"?
- Vehicles: "Category:Vehicles" seems fine, unless we split by game, which isn't easy for vehicles in multiple games
- Weapons: "Category:Weapons" seems fine, unless we split by game, which isn't easy for weapons in multiple games
- Activities: "Category:Activities" seems unnecessary.
- Locations: Includes all Stores and Neighborhoods. I can't really see any good way to split them into specific categories.
After discussion to decide how specific the categories should be, I'll do this.