I have reorganised all the categories.
The best way to describe what I did is to simply show you:
Most categories are in both trees, this makes it easy to find information about a certain game, or to browse the different types of gameplay. Some things that are not specific to any game are not included in the Games tree.
edit 2012: another way of understanding the categories is to look at the Index, which essentially displays the "Gameplay" category, but with duplicates removed.
This is phase 1 of the cleanup.
1) Recategorise categories
- I've put each category into relevant categories, including rearranging the tree to make more sense, and to limit the number of items in each category.
- For instance, previously the Los Carnales category was in the Saints Row category, the Gangs category, and the Characters category. Now, it is only in the Gangs in Saints Row category.
- The Gangs in Saints Row category is in the Saints Row category, the Gangs category.
- This is difficult to visualise, but can be seen by viewing the category tree links above.
2) Examine categories and recategorise pages
- This mostly entails removing pages from incorrect categories.
- With the same example, the Los Carnales page was also in multiple redundant categories. It is now in the Los Carnales and Gangs in Saints Row categories.
- This is still slightly redundant, but is necessary as a user would expect to find the page about the gang in the gangs category, as well as the page about Los Carnales in the Los Carnales category.
- Update: This is now being changed. A link to an article of the same name as the category is now being added to the description of each category.
- Gangs in Saints Row will contain the Los Carnales category, and the Los Carnales article. The Los Carnales category will link to the Los Carnales article instead of having it in the article list. -User452 22:55, August 24, 2011 (UTC)
- I have already fixed many pages, in particular the Gangs, and many Weapons and Vehicles pages, but there are many more to do.
- Almost all vehicles were in the Vehicles category, and must be moved to the appropriate Vehicles in Saints Row categories. (This is now complete)
3) Examine all pages and place it correct categories
- While the focus of phase 2 is removing pages from the wrong catgories, the focus of phase 3 is ensuring every page is in the correct categories.
- After examining all categories, it is also important to go through each page and ensure that it wasn't left behind, or a category wasn't forgotten.
- This will either be the easiest part, or the hardest part, depending on how well part 2 is done ;)
Unfortunately, as I've been concentrating on reorganising things, I haven't been doing as much creation or improvement.
I would really like to focus on making maps, and adding them to all neighborhood pages, but there is just so much else do do.
4) Add descriptions to all category pages
- Phase 4 is an afterthought, but all categories should have a description, and links to appropriate articles.