- "Welcome to Stilwater ...
... and it's with one 'L', bitch."
- — Billboard near Wardill Airport
Stilwater is a fictional city set in the United States of America, in the state of Michigan, it is located on the end of a peninsula, which is split down the middle by a large, unnamed river crossed by multiple bridges.
The Downtown Area is in the central northeast, and is mainly a skyscraper jungle; museums, office towers, and high-end apartments and shopping dominate the landscape here. The northwest is entirely high-class suburban sprawl, with most business concentrated along the river bank in the south. On the south bank of the river, the city is much more closely-built, and distinctly lower-class; most of the city's activities and shopping can be found here, along with landmarks such as the Ultor Dome, Wardill Airport, the Black Bottom Refinery, and Saint's Row.
There are twenty-two Districts in Stilwater, divided into various Neighborhoods. New districts and neighborhoods were added between Saints Row and Saints Row 2, along with the borders of others being adjusted.
Technically, the four underground neighborhoods are part of a district named "Underground", but this is never revealed within the game, as the maps for these areas show the names differently.
There are also a variety of hidden islands which don't show up on the map, many of which are Secret Areas. The Ocean itself is also classified as a district, for the purposes of vehicle spawning.
The Saints Row data files reference several unused hoods, most of which have no mention other than a name, and are likely placeholder names for the final neighborhoods.
- Ashland Arena (Early name for Ultor Dome)
- Back Bay
- Central Station (A building in Southern Cross is all that remains of the Central train station)
- Hell's Kitchen
- Lerner Industrial Park
- Lesalle (Early name for Rebadeaux, according to a freeway sign)
- Southside Seaport (Early name for Docks & Warehouses)
In Saints Row 2, Stilwater is larger and has experienced 25-30 years worth of transformation in just "a few short years". This is said to be, in part, due to efforts by the Ultor Corporation to "fix its problems". Stilwater is now revealed to be an island city, rather than the end of a peninsula, and some areas have been radically changed. This depiction of Stilwater has a Trailer park, an island prison, a Marina District, an ampitheatre, a University, a graveyard, a Nuke Plant, and an underground shopping complex. The city also seems to have had a major population boost between Saints Row and Saints Row 2, having much more people, vehicles, businesses, and services..
The Stilwater town hall and courthouse are located in the Downtown District, along with a Police Station. In Saints Row 2, the Police Headquarters is located in the Precinct 31 building in the Saint's Row District.
In Saints Row, the mayor of Stilwater is Marshall Winslow, while the police are led by Chief Richard Monroe. In Saints Row 2, the mayor is Monica Hughes, widow of Alderman Richard Hughes, and the police department's chief-of-police is Troy Bradshaw.
The Stilwater Seal consists of two circles. The outer circle has "SEAL OF THE CITY OF STILWATER" written on it with three stars at the bottom. The inner circle has a skyline view of Stilwater with the Phillips Building in the center. Then it has lights shining outward from the bottom of the building, then there are four stars at the top of the circle. The seal can be seen on most Stilwater Police Department buildings and vehicles.
Stilwater is home to an elevated train called the Stilwater Transit system. The train line primarily runs along a city loop line visiting eight stations along the route. These stations are Saint's Row, Downtown, Museum, Business District, Suburbs, Arena, Barrio and Docks. The three stations in the affluent City Core (Downtown, Museum and Business District) run along an additional core loop. The Line is elevated above street level for the most part, except for a short sub-surface section with the tunnel mouths in Shivington located in the Projects and Southern Cross in Barrio, whilst tunneling underneath Chinatown and Copperton. This subsurface section can be used as an alternative to the traditional loop route.
Stilwater also has a Bus service called "Cheetah Bus Lines", whose hub is the Transportation Center in Prawn Court, Red Light District. Although The Protagonist can travel by train, he cannot use the Bus Service. There are also three Taxi Services. These are Eagleline Yellow, Big Willy's Cab, and TNA Taxi all in which can be called using the Cellphone.
Many Stores are spread throughout the city. These include movie theaters, music stores, clothiers, weapons dealers, liquor stores, car dealers, boat dealers, car mechanics, plastic surgeons, hair salons, fast food outlets, jewelers, and tattoo parlors (all of which can be robbed or broken into for money or other objects).
The tallest buildings in Stilwater are:
- 71 floors - Phillips Building in the Saint's Row District
- 60 floors - Dalton Moore building, in the Downtown District
- 45 floors - Merrill Building & King Plaza building in the Downtown District
- Two tongue-in-cheek facts regarding Stilwater were mentioned in the "History of the Saints" feature:
- Stilwater has a minor appearance in Saints Row: The Third in the form of Stilwater 1st National Bank during the mission "When Good Heists Go Bad". The Saints are also seen there during the opening cutscene of "Return to Steelport", when they are attacked during Johnny Gat's funeral procession.
- This version of Stilwater does not resemble Stilwater as seen in Saints Row or Saints Row 2, and exists as a 1 square kilometer island south west of Yearwood. It is possible to use cheats in order to escape the Bank and explore the empty island.
- While this area is normally only loaded during the mission, the game files can be modified to make it appear permanently.
- In Kinzie's Warehouse in Saints Row: The Third, multiple newspaper cutouts can be found pinned to the walls. One such headline reads, "Zombies Everywhere!!!", with an image of Saints Row 2's Stilwater.
- Stilwater must be close to Steelport or not far away from it, as in the mission where Shaundi and The Protagonist go to raid the Guard Armory, Pierce arrives in Steelport with the rest of the Saints by helicopter in less than an hour.
- The loss of Loa Dust resulted in a 431% drop in enrollment at Stilwater University.[reference?]
- Interestly in reality the south side of Chicago takes up 60% of the city as it does in Stilwater and until recently Illinois had capital punishment, Michigan had abolished it in the mid 19th century
- They are several towns named "Stillwater" in the United States in reality, but none with only one L. The one nearest to the northern Midwest with its own prison is in Minnesota, which is called the North Star State, in Saints Row 2 in Shivington there is a building with North State on the wall of the building.
- In Saints Row, the area where Mount Claflin would be in Saints Row 2 is still a mountain, and there is an inaccessible path on the map. Part of the western "mountain" boundary from Saints Row is no longer present in Saints Row 2.
- Stilwater was voted the most "Family Friendly" city in 1977 .
- Just like in Saints Row: The Third, Stilwater makes a minor appearance in Saints Row IV, but as a missions where The Protagonist goes into Benjamin King's and Shaundi's mind.. King's mind features Saint's Row District and Saints Row Church; Shaundi's mind features On Track nightclub.
- ↑ "Saints Row Q&A Feature" by TotalVideoGames
- ↑ Mentioned by Johnny Gat during the mission "Down Payment"
- ↑ Cutscene: The Anna Show
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhwiGC4cEo&feature=relmfu Narrator explains Ultor's contribution
- ↑ Saints Row: The Third | History (The Saints Reborn) - Official Saints Row website
- ↑ Youtube video detailing how to excape[sic] the bank during the mission.
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHE5rSoeS6o
- ↑ Image: Headline Zombies in Stilwater.jpg
- ↑ Mission: We're Going to Need Guns
- ↑ http://www.saintsrow.com/about/history
- ↑ Mission: King Me
- ↑ Mission: De Plane Boss