Vandalism is the act of either adding false information or removing valid information.
Do not contact vandals.
- Vandals want attention, do not contact them. Contact an administrator or a Wikia Staff member.
The No Shrines for Vandals policy states that vandals and spammers should not have monuments to their "success". This means that there should not be big warnings exclaiming about attacks, nor public outcries about how the Staff may not be coping. The main purpose of vandals is to cause disruption, so if the disruption they cause is dealt with quickly and quietly, that will discourage them from continuing.
Harassment is against the Wikia TOS, therefore there will be zero tolerance for user page vandals.
- Most vandals do not return. Most vandalism can be reverted and ignored.
- All first time vandals receive a 1 second warning block.
- This adds them into the block long and enables admins to immediately see when a previous vandal has returned, without checking their past contributions
- Recording IP addresses in the block log also enables admins to see if a recurring vandal is coming from a certain IP range.
- More severe vandalism, such as multiple page vandalism, will receive a longer block immediately.
- If an administrator is active at the time of the vandalism, the vandal should receive at least an hour block, to prevent them to continuing at the time. If it has been several hours since their edit, there is no need for more than a warning block.
- All IP blocks should also block logged in users, all user blocks should also block IP addresses.
Each time a vandal returns, they should be given an incrementally longer block
- If a persistent vandal has a dynamic IP address, the IP range will be blocked. The range should be as narrow as possible, to avoid unintentionally blocking entire countries.
- Long term blocks should be avoided. They lengthen the current block list unnecessarily, and are usually of little use. A day block for a vandal who has been an active vandal for less than a day, a week block for a returning vandal in the same week, a month block if the vandal returns after a week block. Only very dedicated returning vandals should receive a block longer than 1 month.
- As a deterrent to returning vandals, a "1 year" or "infinite" block may be imposed temporarily, but this block should be reduced after a week to a 1 month block.
See Help:Vandalism for other information.