Respect is awarded to The Protagonist for various actions like killing rival gang members, completing Activities and Diversions, picking up Collectibles, performing Combat Tricks and Driving Stunts or anything that uses the Star Rating System.
Respect is shown on a purple HUD meter located in the upper right corner of the screen, it is made up for a colored bar showing the amount of respect required before the next level is reached, and a number indicating the current Respect level.
Saints Row Edit
- Respect is required to start story missions after joining the Saints. Before joining the Saints, it is not possible to earn Respect.
- When a mission is started, one level of Respect is deducted from the Respect meter. If the mission is failed or cancelled, one Respect level will be returned. Respect earned during missions is not removed if the mission is failed or cancelled.
- The quickest way to earn respect is by performing Activities in Saints Row, other methods of earning respect are not shown on-screen, but count towards the total Respect.
- Purchasing higher quality Clothing, Jewelry and Tattoos increases the Respect Modifier. When shopping at a Store, a Bar will appear underneath the selected item. This Bar shows how the item will affect the Respect Level if purchased, a number will appear on the bar showing either an increase or decrease to the respect modifier. In front of the Bar is a number indicating the current percent bonus to respect earned. As the bar fills up this percentage will increase.
- It is possible to reach 99x respect by completing activities, but it will never become infinite.
- Although it is not reported on-screen, each enemy gang member killed earns 13 Respect. There is no respect earned for killing police or Civilians.
Saints Row 2 Edit
- Respect is required to start story missions. When a mission is started, one level of Respect is deducted from the Respect meter. If the mission is failed or cancelled, one Respect level will be returned.
- Purchasing higher quality Clothing, Jewelry and Tattoos give a Style bonus, which boosts the amount of Respect earned.
- When sufficient Respect has been earned to access all remaining missions in the game, the Respect level indicator will be replaced with an infinity symbol (). There is no set level at which the infinity symbol appears, but is based on the current completion of the game. Doing Diversions after getting max respect will still show respect on-screen, and still add to the Total Respect Earned in the Statistics menu.
Saints Row: The Third Edit
- Story missions do not require Respect, but instead award Respect, which is used to unlock Upgrades, which can be purchased with Cash.
- The maximum Respect level is 50, at which the best upgrades can be bought, such as infinite ammo or damage immunity. The player can boost the Respect gained by having a Style bonus or by buying Respect boosting Upgrades.
- The Cheat Code to add respect in Saints Row: The Third is "whatitmeanstome". There is no cheat to add respect in Saints Row or Saints Row 2.
- Apart from starting missions, there is no way to lower respect. No respect is lost for killing friendly gang members or being Smoked or Busted.