After gaining control of a Neighborhood, it may randomly be attacked by the previous owners.
When Pushback occurs, there is a phone call and an on-screen message stating which Neighborhood is under attack. On the Map, the contested Neighborhood flashes red.
The Objective of a Pushback is to kill all of the opposing gang lieutenants marked on the mini map.
The enemy gang cannot fully regain control of the Neighborhood, but no City Income is earned while a Neighborhood is under attack. Pushback can only occur once per Neighborhood.
Finishing a gang arc causes Pushback events to cease for that gang. Unlike Strongholds, an active Pushback does not prevent the final mission being available.
A Pushback Defense is not formally started until the first enemy lieutenant is killed, contested hoods can be entered and left before killing an enemy lieutenant without any on-screen messages. Once a Pushback Defense is started, leaving the contested hood starts a 30 second timer to return to it.
|Hood||Gang||Phone call||Pushback enemy groups|
|Bavogian Plaza||Vice Kings||2|
|Atlantis Avenue||Vice Kings||2|
|Adept Way||Vice Kings||2|
|Sunnyvale Gardens||Vice Kings||3|
|Humbolt Park||Vice Kings||4 critical|
|Nob Hill||Vice Kings||4 critical|
|Shivington||Vice Kings||3 critical|
|Prawn Court||Vice Kings||3 critical|
|Black Bottom||Carnales||3 critical|
|Union Square||Vice Kings||3 critical|
|Brighton||Vice Kings||3 critical|
|Misty Lane||Rollerz||3 critical|
|Tidal Spring||Rollerz||3 critical|
|Southern Cross||Carnales||2 critical|
|Amberbrook||Vice Kings||2 critical|
|Pleasant View||Rollerz||2 critical|
|Fox Drive||Carnales||2 critical|
|Filmore||Vice Kings||4 critical|
|Huntersfield||Vice Kings||3 critical|
|Wardill Airport||Carnales||3 critical|
|Poseidon Alley||Carnales||5 critical|
|The Mills||Carnales||1 critical|
Saints Row 2Edit
Entering the contested Neighborhood immediately begins the Pushback, leaving the neighborhood fails the Pushback.
- In Saints Row, the phone calls alerting of Pushbacks consist of desperate Saints requesting backups typically right before being killed in the firefight. In Saints Row 2, there is no voice on the phone and only a message is shown.
- In Saints Row 2, there is an entry in the Statistics menu for "Number of pushbacks completed".
- Pushbacks are the only mode that may not be replayed from a Marker, Theater or Crib, and once all three gangs have been defeated, there is no way to play more Pushbacks.
- While the title "Pushback" is in the strings file for Saints Row: The Third, Pushbacks do not feature in that game, the function of "phonecall about a gang attack" is replaced by Survival.
- Completing a pushback triggers the unlock of Hood-based rewards normally unlocked by the next mission.
- For example, conquering 7 Hoods unlocks a set of Gang Customization vehicles, completing a Pushback after conquering 6 Hoods causes this reward to unlock, although the "Hoods Owned" counter does not change.
- In Saints Row, any incomplete pushbacks will still be active after beating the final story mission for that gang, however, in Saints Row 2 upon completing a final story mission all neighborhoods will instantly be reclaimed.