|One Man's Junk...|
Marked: ?. Minimum kills: ?
- Heritage Festival lacks festivity
- — Ultor Times newspaper headline
After Kazuo Akuji's narrow escape at the end of the previous mission, The Protagonist has assigned Johnny Gat to guard Mr. Wong and his translator, which annoys them a little. Sure enough, as the three walk down along the Stilwater Boardwalk during the Chinese Heritage Festival, The Ronin launch one final desperate attack. During the assault, Gat is separated from the other two. As Kazuo and Mr. Wong begin to duel, Mr. Wong's translator calls The Protagonist, who is at Technically Legal, and informs them on what has happened.
The Protagonist takes a Shark and arrives at the festival. After killing all of The Ronin ransacking the festival, The Protagonist then crosses the junk boats, searching for Mr. Wong and Kazuo Akuji. They arrive just in time to see Kazuo defeat Mr. Wong and push him down some stairs aboard a junk, and then The Protagonist enters a duel with Kazuo, reminiscent of The Protagonist's duel with Jyunichi, although Kazuo uses only one sword. Kazuo seemingly defeats The Protagonist as well, but the latter pulls out a concealed VICE 9 and shoots Kazuo in the chest. Defeated, Kazuo asks them to finish it. After The Protagonist gloats over their victory and forces Kazuo to scream down the phone to Mr. Wong, they then jump from the boat as it explodes, leaving Kazuo to burn to death.
The following text has been transcribed verbatim from the game files.
It can be read in-game upon completion of the mission by selecting the mission at a Newspaper Clipboard.
- Get to the dock before the Ronin destroy the Heritage Festival
- Get on the watercraft
Get on the Shark watercraft and head east towards the festival.
After completing this objective, any vehicle can be used.
- Get to the Heritage Festival before the Ronin destroy it
Along the way, a Thompson flies ahead of The Protagonist and drops explosive barrels while strafing left and right. If hit, the Shark may flip over, and eventually explodes if hit too many times. Furthermore, there is little point in attacking the Thompson as it is soon replaced by another one when destroyed. Try driving slightly from side to side in a pattern or staying close to a shoreline to avoid most of the barrels - don't worry about getting indirectly hit a few times. After getting on the Shark, one can immediately disembark once the objective marker changes to the festival and use a car or helicopter for transport instead.
- Kill the Ronin
Once at the festival, there are twenty marked Ronin lieutenants spread throughout the Stilwater Boardwalk.
- Get on the junk boats and save Wong
There are several ways to get through the boats, however Mr. Wong's health is constantly lowering.
The fastest route is: head into the first junk boat; turn left and back outside the boat; head up the stairs; go through the interior of this floor and out the other side (don't go up the stairs); turn left and go along the walkway to the second junk boat; travel along the edge of the back of the boat here (along the thin green ledge) and fall onto the next walkway; enter the final junk boat; go to the left once inside and go up the stairs on the outside; and finally go up the stairs on the right on the second floor, which are highlighted with a blue marker.
- Kill Kazuo Akuji
The final battle with Kazuo Akuji uses Samurai Swords, much like with Jyunichi in "Kanto Connection". The same rules apply here - simply counter his attacks, and, if possible, attack him before he gets up - unlike the fight with Jyunichi, there are no other enemies present.
Kazuo can be lured towards the fire downstairs as set ablaze, which causes major damage to him.
Despite Kazuo being seemingly defeated, the final cutscene initially portrays otherwise, but as The Protagonist pulls a gun on him and the rest of the cutscene plays out, the mission ends, as do The Ronin.
- Cash: $50,000
- Respect: None
- Achievement: Seppuku (40)
- Neighborhood: Stilwater Boardwalk
- Vehicle: Shogo Akuji's Kaneda
- Vehicles: Ronin vehicles (Kenshin, Wakazashi, Hayate Z70, Tetsuo)
- Player Customization: Ronin Personality options
- Homie: Johnny Gat
- Main article: Newscasts
- Jane Valderamma: "The Chinese Heritage Festival...a time for fun, egg drop soup and tonight...murder. It was here that the notorious street gang known as "The Ronin" terrorized the festival presumidly looking for tea house entrepaneur, Mr. Wong. As fires burned junk and Tai chi practicioner alike, the festival goers were rescued by an unlikely savior...the Third Street Saints. I'm Jane Valderamma, channel 6 news."
- The title of this mission both refers to the idiom "one man's junk is another man's treasure" (although usually referred to as "one man's trash") and a junk ship; a sailing vessel of Chinese origin.
- Occasionally, the music that plays on the boats is the same music that can be heard during the fight with Jyunichi in Kanto during the mission "Kanto Connection".
- It is possible to spawn another weapon via cheats. Any weapon, even a Sledgehammer, can easily beat Kazuo.
- The cutscene "Coup de Gras" is supposed to be "Coup de grâce", which is French for "Finishing Stroke" because that is how The Protagonist backstabs Kazuo Akuji; by using the sword right through his chest.
- The barrels used by Ronin Thompsons use Satchel Charges statistics, explosion sound and ability to stick to an obstacle.
- In the cutscene "Big Problems in Little China", the doors of Ronin Hayate Z70 open outward, as on a regular vehicle, despite the fact that the Hayate Z70 normally has scissor doors.
"Big Problems in Little China" cutsceneEdit
- Mr. Wong: "*speaks Mandarin*"
Translator: "You don't need to follow me like a child."
Johnny Gat: "The boss asked me to make sure The Ronin don't crash your party, and that's what I'm going to do."A Ronin Hayate Z70 arrives, alerting Gat.Johnny Gat: "Wong...get out of here..."Gat fights off the incoming Ronin as Wong and his translator try to escape, but they come to a sudden halt as Kazuo Akuji appears.Kazuo Akuji: "Wong."
Mr. Wong: "Akuji."
Kazuo Akuji: "Leave us cripple."The Translator looks at Wong, who motions him and he leaves.Kazuo Akuji: "You understand English, yes?"
Mr. Wong: "I understand enough."
Kazuo Akuji: "Be thankful for the merciful deaths you and your rabble are receiving... it's nothing compared to what I will do to the Saints when I'm through here."
Mr. Wong: "You talk too much."Wong pulls out his revolver. Meanwhile, The Protagonist comes out a bar as his phone rings and he answers it.The Protagonist: "You got good timing..."
Translator: "Mr. Wong needs your help!"
The Protagonist: "What's wrong?"
Translator: "The Ronin have attacked the heritage festival, Mr. Wong won't last against Akuji."
The Protagonist: "Where's Gat?"
Translator: "He ran off to fight the Ronin as they approached."
The Protagonist: "Sit tight, I'm on my way."
- — "Big Problems in Little China" cutscene
- It ends here...
- — Mr. Wong
- Kazuo Akuji (subtitle): "*Speaks Japanese*"
Kazuo Akuji (audio): "おまいろじんばいら!"
Kazuo Akuji (translation): "?"Akuji strikes Wong, knocking him down the stairs as The Protagonist arrives, carrying a Samurai Sword.The Protagonist: "No one touches Wong..."
- I don't need your help...
- — Wong, labelled "Player Interfere"
- I won't forget this
- — Wong, labelled "Saved"
"Coup de Gras" cutsceneEdit
- The Protagonist attacks a downed Akuji with a katana, which Akuji strikes out of The Protagonist's grip.Akuji strikes at The Protagonist, who blocks the attack with their hand on Akuji's forearm. Akuji pushes The Protagonist to the floor.Kazuo Akuji: "Did you really think you could match my skill?"The Protagonist takes out a gun and shoots Akuji in the chest.The Protagonist: "No, I'm gonna cheat."The Protagonist points the gun at Akuji's head.Kazuo Akuji: "Finish it."
The Protagonist: "No."The Protagonist spots Akuji's sword, picks it up, kicks Akuji to the ground and stabs him in the back.Kazuo Akuji: "*wincing*"The Protagonist takes out his phoneThe Protagonist: "Put Wong on the phone. Hey Wong, I want you to hear something..."
The Protagonist: "Come on. Be a good sport..."The Protagonist twists the blade in Akuji's back.Kazuo Akuji: "*screams*"
The Protagonist: "You hear that Wong? You're welcome. Thanks."
Kazuo Akuji: "When I escape, the world will not be big enough for you to hide in."
The Protagonist: "Luckily for me you're gonna burn to death in a few minutes."
The Protagonist: "Your son never should've fucked with my friends."The Protagonist runs and leaps off the burning boat into the water.
- — "Coup de Gras" cutscene