|Information about Saints Row IV was added before the game was released.
|Help the Saints Row Wiki by cleaning up this article!|
|Marked because: Many sections begin with "In [mission]", and should be reworded with mission names as references.|
|Appears in||Saints Row: The Third|
Saints Row IV
Leader of the Deckers
|Voiced by||Yuri Lowenthal|
- For the Saints Row 2 character, see Matt.
- "Don't you get it? I'm God in here."
- — Matt Miller, in his final confrontation with The Protagonist.
- "The thing that's interesting about him is that when he's by himself he thinks that he's god."
- — Steve Jaros, lead writer of Saints Row: The Third
Matt Miller is the leader of the Deckers, and like Phillipe Loren, Killbane, Viola, and Kiki DeWynter a member of The Syndicate. He is an expert in all instances of (cyber) crime such as hacking, and is usually the guy whom the rest of the Syndicate goes to for such instances. Despite the grave threat he poses to the cyber community, Matt is timid and a physical weakling who relies on his intellectual strengths to deal with any adversaries. He speaks with a British accent, and is only 16 years old.
Matt Miller has a major obsession for technology, so much in fact that he even incorporates it into his clothing, such as a wrist band on his right arm which features a key pad and screen with a neon blue trim, and various high-tech features on his dark, neon blue, light-up jacket. He is a described Internet god but is socially awkward when out in the open. Matt and his gang are computer geniuses, but in stark contrast to the Luchadores or the Morningstar, they are more subtle in their commitment of (cyber) crime. In addition, all of them (including Matt himself) dress in very much the same way, sporting dark clothing with neon-blue highlights.
Steve Jaros, lead writer of Saints Row: The Third, says, "he's super cocky and kind of obnoxious and is very self-assured in what he does. However, when he's around Killbane or Phillipe, he's like a 15-year-old kid sitting at the big kid table". Matt comes off as a stereotypical internet troll when he's behind technology, but in the open (around other members of the Syndicate), he is very shy and fearful, because of the fact that they could kill him quickly if they wanted to. So under these circumstances he usually acts respectfully by staying mostly silent.
Saints Row: The Third Edit
Little information is given about Matt's background. Matt is "the youngest and newest member of the Syndicate", "an extremely talented hacker from England" and was first recruited into the Syndicate because "Phillipe couldn't figure out how to use his cell phone". 
He completely drains the 3rd Street Saints' bank accounts after I'm Free - Free Falling. After the death of Phillipe Loren, Killbane assumes full control of the Syndicate and Matt voices very little objection, mostly out of fear. In The Ho Boat, Matt anonymously calls the Protagonist and offers to buy back the hoes. Killbane is enraged by Matt's actions and Matt promises to ask his consent of every decision from that point on. After Trojan Whores, he witnesses Killbane kill Kiki DeWynter with a one-handed neck snap, which causes both him and Viola DeWynter to panic. In "Live! With Killbane", the Protagonist and Shaundi plan to assassinate Killbane by sniping him off from their helicopter, but are narrowly thwarted when Matt hacks into the helicopter's flight computer and overloads it with an EMP, causing it to crash. Matt then mocks the protagonist by sending him a text reading "Cheers".
In Learning Computer, he manages to get surveillance of Kinzie Kensington's "inner sanctum" through her own personal computer. After gaining key information, he mocks Kinzie and the Protagonist on video. It is the first time the Protagonist sees and hears Matt. Kinzie eventually figures out how to upload the Protagonist's subconscious into the "Decker Use-Net" (Matt Miller's virtual stronghold) using a stolen NEMO device, where the Protagonist defeats Matt in combat despite Matt's control over the virtual world's laws of physics. Because too much shock in the virtual world would leave him brain-dead, Matt is threatened with death and convinces the Protagonist to spare him in exchange for either weapon or car customization discounts.
Immediately after his defeat, Matt Miller nervously requests from Killbane to let him leave the Syndicate. Surprisingly, Killbane graciously lets him go and offers to let him "list me as a reference anytime". A post-mission news report by Jane Valderamma reveals that after leaving town, Matt Miller swore off modern technology and left the world of hacking. Valderamma also reveals that Matt had always expressed an interest in neo-luddism, and felt it was time to "make a change".
Saints Row IV Edit
- GameInformer (one of the first magazines to have exclusive information on Saints Row: The Third) has an associate editor by the same name.
- Of all the antagonists in the game series, Matt is the only one shown to be shocked when someone is killed, screaming "Christ Killbane!" and being visually distraught when he kills Kiki DeWynter, though this is possibly due to her having been an ally and Killbane's remorselessness.
- Miller's outfit has changed much since his promotional artwork to his in-game model.
- He is voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, who provided the voice of Shogo Akuji in Saints Row 2 and the English voice of Sasuke Uchiha in the Naruto anime series. While it is likely unintentional, it is interesting to note that while Matt Miller begged for his life, out of fear of dying, Shogo begged for death, out of fear of being buried alive.
- During the mission Learning Computer, Matt argues with The Protagonist, saying he can do anything The Protagonist can do. The Protagonist fires back with "Oh yeah? Buy a pack of cigarettes," to which Matt replies by muttering "ageist."
- He is one of the two enemy gang leaders that are spared during the events of each game they appear in. The other surviving gang leader is Benjamin King, former leader of the Vice Kings, who becomes an ally in the latter section of the Vice Kings story arc of Saints Row.
- In a radio advertisement, there is an interview with Matt who says: "I may exist in the meat world, but I live in the cyber world.
- According to the Saints Row website, Matt was let into the Syndicate because Phillipe could not figure out how to use his cell phone.
- According to the Saints Row website, his online handle is R4gn0r0k, although this is never mentioned in-game. R4gn0r0k is a reference to the old Norse word "Ragnarok", meaning "Armageddon". However, the word is commonly interpreted as the "final destiny of God", falling in line with his belief of being God in his own virtual reality.
- Keeping with his nature, The Protagonist never meets Matt in person. The closest is at the end of http://deckers.die where his digital avatar takes on his real-world appearance.
- Matt Miller often mockingly addresses Kinzie as "Agent Kensington" with emphasis on "Agent". This is a reference to him being responsible for her termination as an FBI agent.
- When he says "Don't you get it? I'm god here." that is a reference from the film The Lawnmower Man.
- During the mission "http://deckers.die", Matt reveals he is a fan of Nyte Blayde and has modeled his cyber world after an important building in the series.
- At 16, Matt Miller is the youngest antagonist in the Saints Row series, as well as the only faction leader known to be younger than the Protagonist.
- When the official Saints Row website was taken down prior to Saints Row: The Third's release in October 2011, a temporary message claimed that the "Forums and Registration [were] closed for maintenance while [they got] Matt Miller out of the system."
- "That punk kid is the cyber god who just crashed your helicopter. Cheers!"
- — Matt Miller to The Protagonist in Learning Computer
Killbane: "Matty, there's nothing to worry about."
Phillipe Loren: "My thoughts exactly, Mr. Killbane."
— Matt Miller, Killbane and Phillipe Loren
- "This is my world to shape as I see fit, not yours."
- — Matt Miller in http://deckers.die
The Protagonist: "Little vague Matt, gotta do better."
— Matt Miller and The Protagonist
- "Thanks for the tip Agent Kensington."
- — Matt Miller to Kinzie in Learning Computer
Kiki DeWynter: "Tell me something, Matt. Did you have a plan?"
— Matt Miller and Kiki DeWynter
- "With respect, sir... I'd say "empty" is no longer applicable."
- — Matt Miller to Phillipe Loren
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 http://www.saintsrow.com/about/gangs#deckers
- ↑ Heli Assault
- ↑ Saints Row: The Third Credits
- ↑ According to Kinzie Kensington in a radio interview
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Who's Who In Saints Row: The Third—Matt Miller, retrieved July 4th 2011
- ↑ The Saints Row website
- ↑ Aaccording to Kinzie in Heli Assault
- ↑ Newscasts#http://deckers.die
- ↑ Twitter: @Gavin_J_Porter yes.
- ↑ Matt Miller - GameInformer, retrieved 14th September 2011
- ↑ Deckers.Die
- ↑ Image: Saints Row forum maintenance.jpg