|Help the Saints Row Wiki by cleaning up this article!|
|Marked because: Each fact requires references to specific missions/cutscenes|
|Appears in||Saints Row 2|
|Affiliations||The Brotherhood of Stilwater|
|Occupation(s)||Gun-Runner, Extortionist, Armed Robber|
|Voiced by||Michael Dorn|
- "You really think that a couple washed up bangers like you and Gat have a chance against the Brotherhood?"
- — Maero, during his first meeting with The Protagonist
Maero is the patriarch of the Brotherhood of Stilwater, and serves as the main antagonist of the Brotherhood arc.
A Stilwater native long victimized by gang warfare and police corruption[reference?], he formed the Brotherhood from the outcasts and dredges of Stilwater society. Ostracized for their status and their tattoos, Maero united them as a solid force of strength and intimidation intent on revenging itself upon the police and city.
Sometime after forming the Brotherhood, Maero became good friends with Donnie, a former member of the Westside Rollerz, and Matt, a tattoo artist and lead guitarist for the Feed Dogs. He and his girlfriend Jessica then expanded the Brotherhood's influence in the city. Donnie was made the Brotherhood's primary mechanic and Matt was made the Brotherhood's primary tattoo artist.
Maero towers over everyone he meets. Not only is he tall, but he also packs an unbelievable amount of muscle, which for the most part, is covered in tattoos. Maero is a violent man, straightforward and blunt with his tactics, but still cunning in the predatory sense. One of his favorite hobbies is participating in the Demolition Derby competitions held at the Stilwater University. Here he drives a customized Atlasbreaker to crush the competition and work up his reputation.[reference?]
Maero is seen to have several tattoos all over his body. This became the largest part of his appearance, even more than his tribal clothing. He also has a large, red, multicolored wolf tattoo on his chest, which represented his affiliation with his gang. He also has tattoos on his arms and many other places which are not available at Rusty's Needle, such as the cheeks and neck.
When he hears that the 3rd Street Saints had been reborn, Maero asks to meet their leader in the Stilwater Caverns to form a secret pact, but their meeting is interrupted by the Stilwater PD.[cutscene?] Together, they escape and head to the Brotherhood HQ in the southern docks. There, Maero proposes an alliance between the Saints and the Brotherhood, but offers them only twenty percent of all profits. Angered by this, The Protagonist refuses his proposition.[cutscene?]
The Protagonist harasses Donnie by forcing the timid mechanic to sabotage some of the Brotherhood's trucks, and later steals some radioactive waste from the Ultor Nuclear Plant. After acquiring the toxic material, he delivers it to the Rusty's Needle near the Brotherhood hideout. Matt unknowingly uses it to tattoo Maero's face, which results in a severe and painful burn.
Angered by this, Jessica orders for Carlos to be killed[reference?], as he is the Saint assigned to take down the Brotherhood. Determined to avenge Carlos' death, The Protagonist kidnaps Jessica while she is at the bank, and locks her in the trunk of her car, before driving it to Maero's Demolition Derby. As Maero is crushing cars in his monster truck, he hits a ramp and lands directly on top Jessica's car, killing her. Before taking his leave, The Protagonist tosses Maero the keys, and tells him that he should have made the Saints a better offer when they first met.
Enraged by Jessica's murder and the subsequent events that followed; such as the crippling of Matt after The Protagonist crashed one of his Feed Dogs concerts, Maero decides he needs all the help he can get. So he breaks into the office of Dane Vogel, and demands that the CEO use Ultor's connections to free all the Brotherhood members who are in the Stilwater Penitentiary. When Vogel refuses, Maero dangles him by his neck out of his office window, and threatens to drop him if he does not change his mind. Vogel unwillingly agrees to Maero's terms, and orders the Chief of Police, Troy Bradshaw, to schedule a massive prison release, but The Protagonist finds out about it, and kills all of the prisoners before they are released.
Maero confronts Vogel a second time, but the Ultor CEO is no longer willing to help because he sees nothing to gain from doing the Brotherhood any more favors. As the Masako escort Maero out of the Phillips Building at gunpoint, Vogel smugly hints that Ultor is taking possession of the Brotherhood's upcoming arms shipment, arriving by freighter.
After The Protagonist raids the freighter and steals the Brotherhood's shipment, he decides that the time has finally come for the Saints to get rid of Maero. A fierce battle soon breaks out at the Brotherhood HQ, and Maero is eventually forced to confront The Protagonist. But he does so on the roof armed with a Mini-Gun and some Satchel Charges. After an intense shootout, Maero runs out of ammo, and resorts to attacking The Protagonist with his bare hands. In their struggle, the two gang leaders fall through the roof of the Brotherhood HQ, and into Maero's "office," where Donnie and Matt are hiding. Donnie flees as The Protagonist gains the upper hand against Maero, nearly killing him with one of Matt's tattoo needles, but Matt intervenes by tackling The Protagonist to the floor while Maero flees. As a result, Matt ends up sacrificing his own life to allow Maero to escape.[reference?]
Maero later calls The Protagonist, and challenges him one last face-off in the Ultor Dome. The Protagonist decides to come alone, unlike Maero, who has planned an ambush with his Atlasbreaker and the remnants of the Brotherhood. Even so, The Protagonist manages to successfully kill all of the Brotherhood before destroying Maero's monster truck. Maero survives the explosion, but is badly injured and unable to continue fighting. His last words are "Go to hell!", before The Protagonist shoots him in the head.[reference?]
- "Your little buddy screamed like a bitch when we trussed him up... How 'bout you bitch? You gonna scream?"
- — Maero to The Protagonist during "The Siege"
- "Who the fuck do the Saints think they are turning me down."
- — Maero
- Maero: "I've heard about the connections Ultor has...you're gonna get my boys out of jail and help me destroy the Saints."
Dane Vogel: "Your bargaining posture needs some work."
— Maero and Vogel after the events of "Retribution"
- Maero: "I'm gonna kill you right here, right now..."
The Protagonist: "No, you're not."
- Maero is among the Stilwater PD's most wanted fugitives.
- Despite being one of the most violent and angry of the Gang Leaders in Saints Row 2, he is, surprisingly, the only one who isn't immediately hostile to the Saints, and even intends to form an alliance with them at first.
- Maero's voice actor, Michael Dorn, played Worf in Star Trek:The Next Generation, Weasel in I Am Weasel, and provided the voice of Mata Nui in Bionicle: The Legend Reborn.
- If you look closely at Maero during Showdown, Maero's model is from the first Brotherhood mission.
- The name Maero comes from Maori tradition, they were tree living wildmen with long fingers and long fingernails
- A bit of Maero's past was revealed by Luz Avalos when she said, "Did I ever tell you that Victor was a friend of Maero's? It was a tattoo thing." This implies that before the destruction of Los Carnales, Victor Rodriguez and Maero were buddies due to their shared passion for tattoos, destruction, and mayhem.
- In Saints Row: The Third there is a hairstyle named the "Maero Mullet", though it differs greatly in length.
- He is mentioned in Cyrus Temple's speech to Steelport, only saying Jessica Parish had a boyfriend that unknowingly crushed her in her car, his involvement with the Brotherhood of Stilwater is omitted, as well as Jessica's.[reference?]
- While battling Maero on the rooftop of the Brotherhood HQ, He has 12000 Hitpoints, 18000 in Co-op, which is the most hitpoints of any enemy in the game. The next strongest enemy is Veteran Child, who has 6000 hit points, 9000 in Co-op. Maero can be hit with the Pimp Slap 6 times before dying, as the Pimp Slap does 2000 damage per hit.
- Benjamin King and Maero are the only leaders of a rival gang who is ever recruited as a homie at some point in the game. Neither of them are "rivals" at the time they are Homies.
|Characters in Saints Row 2|