Money can be borrowed from loan sharks at "First Born Loans". The amount of the loan depends on game progress; the minimum is $5,000 and the maximum amount is $50,000. To pay back the loan, go to the Loan Office and enter the Trigger Field. The loan can only be paid back in full, but no interest is required.
After borrowing money, there is between 3 and 12 days to pay off the loan, depending on game progress. The first warning appears on-screen when there is one week left. Every day for the final 5 days, there is a phone call from Mike, asking "Where's our money?". At one day left, the message changes to "I think you better pay up". The same message repeats the next day, along with the on-screen text "You have defaulted on your loan".
Two loan sharks, Mike and Dan, come after The Protagonist, and appear on the HUD as an enemy. While Mike and Dan are present, the Cash displayed on the HUD flashes red and white. While it is possible to kill Mike and Dan every time they appear, they continue coming back until the loan is repaid, with increasingly strong vehicles and weapons.
- La Fuerza
- Bulldog - Unique variant with logo
- Peterliner - Unique variant with logo
- Police Chopper - with logo
"Family Ties" cutsceneEdit
- Vinnie: "No you piece of shit, I don't care...did I say I was looking for excuses or my money...You got 2 days. After that I'm takin' the guitar you bought and the hand that strums it, you understand me...Goodbye."
Vinnie: "Sorry 'bout that, my brother's a musician. So, are you looking for a loan?"
- — Vinnie, during the "Family Ties" cutscene
- Mike: "I'm Mike."
Dan: "I'm Dan."
Mike: "And we want to lend you money."
Dan: "Are you a little short this month?"
Mike: "This week?"
Mike: "First Born Loans can loan you money anytime you need it."
Dan: "24 hours a day, 7 days a week."
Mike: "Or how about right now?"
Dan: "Maybe you're looking at a new car?"
Mike: "Some new clothes?"
Dan: "How 'bout a sandwich?"
Mike: "Any amount at all, First Born Loans is here for you."
Dan: "We only ask one thing in return."
Mike: "...You pay us back on time."
Dan: "No... really."
Mike: "We're serious."
Dan: "You pay us back... on time."
Announcer: "First Born Loans: seriously, pay them back on time."
- — Radio commerical for First Born Loans
Mike and DanEdit
- Mike: "Pay us back on time..."
Mike: "There ya go...just don't be late paying it back..."
Mike: "Don't be late..."
Dan: "The juice starts now..."
Dan: "Don't be late paying this back..."
Dan: "I'm sure you're good for it..."
- — When taking out a loan
- Mike: "Thanks for making this simple..."
Mike: "Stop by anytime you need a loan..."
Mike: "I get my money back, you get to keep your knee caps, everybody wins..."
Dan: "Always a pleasure..."
Dan: "It's always nice to deal with reasonable people..."
Dan: "If you need another loan, just stop on by..."
- — When repaying a loan
- Mike: "Where's our money?"
Mike: "I think you better pay up..."
Mike: "Don't be late..."
Mike: "Pay us back on time..."
- — Phone call from Mike when loan has not been paid
- Borrowing a total of $200,000 unlocks the Achievement "Jumped the Shark". This can be unlocked very quickly by simply borrowing and returning the money over and over again.
- The Loan Shark is named "First Born Loans". The name "First Born Loans" is a reference to owing them your "First Born" child.
- The Loan Shark in the cutscene is named Vinnie, while Mike and Dan are featured in the radio ad and come to collect the debt.
- In Saints Row 2, Vinnie is one of the bosses for the "Crowd Control" activity. In his cutscene, he mentions that Mike and Dan have moved on to be professional poker players, so he moved into porn films such as "Cock of Cthulu" starring D.P. Lovecrack, "Bukkake High School 31" starring Abby Hamherstein, "The Cable Man From Bangalore" starring Anoop "The Indian Hammer" Shekar..." Since "Porn fans are... well, y'know, porn fans", he hires The Protagonist to protect his talent.
- Mike is slightly taller than a normal character, while Dan is slightly shorter.