|Story arc||3rd Street Saints (prologue)|
|Cutscene(s)||• "Vacation's Over" |
• "The Great Escape"
• "Catching Up"
|Objective(s)||• Kill the doctor |
• Kill the guards
• Follow Carlos up to the roof
• Kill the guard and take their gun
• Make your way across roof
• Get to the docks
• Defend the boat
- "Coma victim wakes up, kills way to freedom"
- — Stilwater Gazette newspaper headline
Long after the climactic events of "Saints and Martyrs" at the end of Saints Row, two guards discuss the waking of a certain character and the events that have transpired in the past few years. They wonder why Troy never "pulled the plug" on the character who apparently murdered Alderman Richard Hughes, Mayor Marshall Winslow, Aisha, and Chief Monroe.
After reaching the infirmary, the character is revealed to be The Protagonist, who awakens in Stilwater Penitentiary to find they have since been in a coma. After the guards leave, a fellow inmate, Carlos, introduces himself. Carlos alludes to the fate of the 3rd Street Saints since the yacht explosion, and after offering his help to The Protagonist, they decide to escape the prison island together.
They succeed in escaping the building, where once outside they proceed to the docks and steal a boat. Once aboard the mainland and away from the police, The Protagonist notices the Phillips Building in the skyline of Saint's Row; Carlos explains to them that after Alderman Richard Hughes was killed in the yacht explosion that sent The Protagonist into a coma, Ultor "picked up the pieces" and now they're now a major influence in Stilwater. He further explains that without anyone to lead them, the 3rd Street Saints fell apart, leaving another three gangs to reclaim the city: The Brotherhood, The Ronin, and the Sons of Samedi. Carlos recommends that The Protagonist keeps their head down and soak up as much information as they can, and then walks off after The Protagonist thanks him for all the help.
The following text has been transcribed verbatim from the game files, and can be read in-game upon completion of the mission. To do this, simply select the mission for replay at a Newspaper Clipboard.
A former member of the famed Third Street Saints awoke from a coma today, orchestrating a symphony of destruction that engulfed the entire island penitentiary. The inmate had been taken to the prison infirmary after awaking, and from there overpowered a prison doctor before making their way outside. After an intense gunfight, the fugative[sic] presumably made their way to the prison's dock and escaped pursuit by boat. Details are sketchy, but it is presumed this dangerous individual was aided by another inmate.
Much like the first two missions in Saints Row, "Canonized" and "Back to Basics", this mission introduces many gameplay mechanics, and first up is fighting; the player is first tasked with killing the doctor in the room. The player may either engage in fisticuffs or use an Improvised Weapon. After the doctor dies, Carlos presents The Protagonist with the option of sneaking out via the roof or charging out of the entrance - the former option engages the tutorial, while the latter option skips it.
Should the player begin the tutorial, they will exit the room and have to fight two guards alongside Carlos. They drop Nightsticks once killed. After following Carlos through a tight corridor and upwards, the player will emerge on the rooftop; killing the guard directly ahead (who has their back to the player) will give the player an NR4. Use it to kill the other two guards on the rooftop and the alarm will go off. From here on, the player must work their way down, killing any guards that get in the way and picking up their ammo. The player may also dual wield NR4s.
Should the player skip the tutorial, they will exit the room through a different set of doors and fight a small group of guards alongside Carlos. These guards drop firearms. After going through the Holding Area and exiting the building, the player will be assaulted by various guards wielding Tombstone shotguns.
Regardless of whether the tutorial was played or skipped, once safely outside of the building, the player must make their way to the docks, so they may want to commandeer a nearby Five-O and drive down with Carlos. Several of the guards placed on the rocks carry AR-40 Xtnd but, if picked up, the weapon will disappear from the player's inventory after completing the mission.
Once aboard the boat with Carlos, the player will be equipped with an AR200 SAW with infinite ammunition and must destroy all incoming police boats (Miamis) and helicopters (Oppressors) that are tailing them. Once Carlos docks the boat at Sunnyvale Gardens in the Projects District (the destination is not marked on the Map, but the outcropping can be seen between the second and third bridge), the mission ends.
- Main article: Newscasts
- Jane Valderamma: It's been said that this year's heatwave has made this summer the worst in Stilwater's history. Today another feather has been added to this year's dubious cap: the leader of the 3rd Street Saints has awoken. Long since forgotten, this criminal icon joined fellow inmate Carlos Mendoza in a brazen escape from Stilwater Penitentiary. In a plan born from pruno and desperation, the two fugitives cut a bloody swath as they moved from cell block to the open water. While their current whereabouts are unknown, it's safe to assume that the sidewalks are no longer safe. I'm Jane Valderamma, Channel 6 news.
"The Great Escape" cutscene Edit
Guard #2: "Be careful doctor, your patient's dangerous."
Guard #1: "You got anything you wanna say to the judge, you better start thinkin' of it now."
Guard #2: "You're wasting your time... let's get a hold of Troy."
Carlos: "Psst! Hey!"
Carlos: "Is it really you?"
The Protagonist: "Do I know you?"
Carlos: "My brother was in the Saints and he told me all about you... listen, we gotta get you outta here."
The Protagonist: "Well, I'm sure if we ask nicely..."
Carlos: "I know a way out."
The Protagonist: "Yeah? Then why are you still here?"
Carlos: "I heard you were in here and I wanted to bust you out."
Carlos: "Getting out of here's a two man job and no one else will give it a try."
The Protagonist: "You really expect me to trust some guy I don't even know?"
Carlos: "Come on, I just got myself shanked so I could get a chance to talk to you. Doesn't that show I'm loyal?"
The Protagonist: "It shows that you're dumb enough to let yourself get stabbed."
Carlos: "I'm trying to help you!"
The Protagonist: "You know what I got the last time I trusted someone? Blown the fuck up."
Carlos: "You need me."
The Protagonist: "The hell I do, I got the Saints."
Carlos: "Sure you do."
The Protagonist: "What's that supposed to mean?"
Carlos: "How long do you think you've been out?"
The Protagonist: "Uh, I dunno man... 2-3 weeks?"
Carlos: "Look, I know you think you're a badass but do you even know where you're at? Without me you'll be wandering around the prison for hours. Even if you manage to hide from the guards that long, and if you actually figure out how to make it outside these walls, you're just gonna find out that you're sitting on a goddamn island. And I'm pretty sure you can't outswim the coast guard."
The Protagonist: "You got a boat stashed here?"
Carlos: "No, but I know where we're gonna steal one."
The Protagonist: "Alright, let's get out of here."
Carlos: "Let's get to the docks, I can drive us outta here."
Carlos: "I can't believe I'm breaking out of jail with you!"
|The Protagonist (Male Voice 1): "Just stay focused, little man..."|
|The Protagonist (Male Voice 2): "Yeah, it's a dream come true, now let's move..."|
|The Protagonist (Male Voice 3): "Glad you're havin' fun, let's just make sure we don't get shot."|
|The Protagonist (Female Voice 1): "I think we might pull this off, Carlos..."|
|The Protagonist (Female Voice 2): "Can we save the hero worship until after we're outta here?"|
|The Protagonist (Female Voice 3): "I'd save the excitement until you're outta here..."|
|The Protagonist (Male Voice 1): "I'm not gonna lie, I got no idea who the hell you're talkin' about..."|
|The Protagonist (Male Voice 2): "Tough guy? Wore purple? Sure..."|
|The Protagonist (Male Voice 3): "I'm sorry Carlos, there were a lotta guys that wore purple in the Saints..."|
|The Protagonist (Female Voice 1): "He was the one in purple right?"|
|The Protagonist (Female Voice 2): "I'd be a liar if I said I did, there were a lotta people in that gang..."|
|The Protagonist (Female Voice 3): "Sure... sure I do..."|
|The Protagonist (Male Voice 1): "You tellin' me you didn't know this was gonna work?"|
|The Protagonist (Male Voice 2): "Glad you have so much faith in your plan..."|
|The Protagonist (Male Voice 3): "Don't get cocky, we ain't outta here yet..."|
|The Protagonist (Female Voice 1): "We're not outta here yet!"|
|The Protagonist (Female Voice 2): "Don't worry Carlos, we're getting outta here."|
|The Protagonist (Female Voice 3): "Don't get too excited, we got a long way to go."|
|The Protagonist (Male Voice 1): "Let's not start celebratin' till we're off this damn island..."|
|The Protagonist (Male Voice 2): "We're not out yet..."|
|The Protagonist (Male Voice 3): "I'd hold off on celebrating until we're off this island."|
|The Protagonist (Female Voice 1): "I gotta tell ya Carlos, I'm impressed."|
|The Protagonist (Female Voice 2): "We're not outta here yet..."|
|The Protagonist (Female Voice 3): "It's not over yet, Carlos..."|
Carlos: "Man the gun, I'm gonna get us outta here!"
"Catching Up" cutscene Edit
Carlos: "It is now."
The Protagonist: "Jesus, when did this happen?"
Carlos: "When Ultor got involved."
The Protagonist: "The clothing company?"
Carlos: "After Hughes was killed in that bombing of yours, Ultor picked up the pieces. Now they're everywhere... on TV, on billboards, in stores... hell, if you ever forget who Ultor is, just look towards Saint's Row and you'll see that fuckin' eye sore."
Carlos: "Here we are."
The Protagonist: "Where can I find the other Saints?"
Carlos: "What other Saints?"
The Protagonist: "Whatchu talkin' about?"
Carlos: "Without anyone to lead 'em, the Saints fell apart. Once The Brotherhood, Ronin, and Samedi showed up, the few that were left dropped their flags before they got killed."
The Protagonist: "Well that's fuckin' great..."
Carlos: "Look, I know you didn't ask for it, but my advice is to just keep your head down... the cops are looking for you and a lot's changed. I say ya just go buy a beer and soak up as much information as you can."
The Protagonist: "Thanks Carlos."
- The loading screen after starting a new game shows The Protagonist diving from the yacht explosion from "Saints and Martyrs" in Saints Row.
- If the player attempts to swim to the mainland, no police boats will spawn in the water, but the mission will fail.
- The doctor is immediately hostile to the player once they enter his line of sight.
- After killing the first guards during the non-tutorial escape, it is possible to go upstairs and raid the prison armory, which includes some stronger weapons that would normally only be available later in the game. However, these weapons will be removed from the player's inventory after completing the mission.
- The Convict in this mission cannot be harmed by friendly fire.
- When revisiting the prison anytime after this mission, there are many more doors that can be kicked open, including both infirmary doors. However, the prison armory weapons are not available.
- The Warrant can be obtained during this mission by using the Newspaper Clipboard replay glitch.
- During a Newspaper Clipboard mission replay, The Protagonist will be shown wearing the prison jumpsuit during the "The Great Escape" cutscene, but with whichever shoes were being worn outside of the replay. After the cutscene, the clothes will change back, but The Protagonist will have no weapons.
- The phone tap recordings at the Police Headquarters (required to start the bonus mission "Revelation") are available from the start of the game, although it is not possible to reach them.
- The "Vacation's Over" cutscene is a new game cutscene similar to "The Streets of Stilwater" in Saints Row, and this mission does not start until after Player Customization is completed.
- After the mission, The Protagonist is at the same dock shown in the cutscene, but the Convict is no longer present.
- Male Voice 3's line "Don't get cocky, we ain't outta here yet..." is very similar to two of Han Solo's lines from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, namely "Great kid! Don't get cocky" and "Come on, buddy, we're not out of this yet!" which both occur shortly after the characters escape from the Death Star. Given the number of Star Wars references in the Saints Row series, it is unlikely that this is a coincidence.