|I'm Free - Free Falling|
|Story arc||3rd Street Saints|
|Objective(s)||• Kill the guards |
• Escape with Shaundi
• Find a parachute
• Catch Shaundi
• Kill the enemy pursuers
• Shoot out the windshield on the plane
• Kill the enemy pursuers
• Catch Shaundi
|Reward(s)||Shaundi (Homie) |
"The Welcome Wagon" (Achievement/Trophy)
- "Okay, don't freak out or anything, but I think that plane is gonna try and ram us."
- — The Protagonist to Shaundi
After failing to rob a bank in Stilwater, The Protagonist, Shaundi, and Johnny Gat find themselves tied up and incapacitated on-board Phillipe Loren's private plane in the skies above Steelport. Phillipe Loren introduces himself and his two lieutenants, Viola and Kiki DeWynter. He explains that the bank they failed to rob belonged to the Syndicate, of which Phillipe Loren is chairman. Loren further explains that the Syndicate plans to expand into Stilwater, and gives the 3rd Street Saints a chance to "leverage [their] assets against [their] lives" by giving the Syndicate 66% of their monthly gross revenue before taxes in Stilwater. Johnny Gat instantly refuses the offer and escapes his bindings by using his weight to force himself and his chair into his executioner. Gat and Loren get into a minor fight in which Gat is stabbed and Loren's face is smashed into a window, decompressing the plane and forcing Loren to withdraw with the DeWynter sisters. Gat helps the The Protagonist and Shaundi out of the chair nailed to the floor, and the three split up, with Gat planning to take control of the plane and bring it back to Stilwater while The Protagonist and Shaundi fight their way to the back of the plane and steal a parachute. Once the latter accomplish this, they lose contact with Gat, and, after The Protagonist returns to the plane to kill the pilot and preventing the plane from ramming them, The Protagonist and Shaundi are left alone in the skies above Steelport, helplessly parachuting down towards the city below.
- The mission was first revealed during SDCC 2011.
- Phillipe Loren, Viola and Kiki DeWynter, The Syndicate, the Morningstar, and the city of Steelport are all introduced in this mission in some capacity.
- Many vehicles can be seen inside the plane, including a few Decker Kayaks, Luchadore Criminals and Morningstar Infuegos.
- The name of this mission is a reference to Tom Petty's popular song "Free Fallin'".
- The plane resembles an Antonov An-225. It may be called a Gawak A36, as it can be seen on the left side of the plane, just below the cockpit windows. Its registration number is D11OW, and belongs to Steelport Airlines.
- The red, green, and blue lights on the plane are the colors of the Morningstar, the Luchadores, and the Deckers respectively.
- Since the player would have flow through the cockpit and back past the area they fought through, it is not known how Phillipe is not seen, and neither is Johnny Gat.
- The song that Johnny Gat plays when he gets control of the plane is We're Leaving Today by Paul Louis Reeves.
- During the free-fall segments, The Protagonist is temporarily granted dual-wielding of SMGs.
- The part when The Boss shoots at the cockpit window sort of resembles a scene in the movie Eraser.
- The first part of the skydiving section does not take place above Steelport itself, but above a static image of the city, which can be seen by observing that the perspective of the buildings does not change. After falling through the plane, the next skydiving section takes place above the city itself.
- It is possible to jump out of the plane without triggering the next scene, by using cheats to obtain the Sonic Boom, and opening the door to the cargo bay. After doing this, the rear hatch will not immediately open, but will open after firing the sonic boom at the already-open door several times. After jumping out of the plane, it will soon vanish, and The Protagonist will be falling south west of Yearwood, near the location of the second skydiving section. The player must steer in any direction, or The Protagonist will get caught in an infinite fall, in the section used for the second skydiving section. Once out of the area used in the mission, Steelport will be visible, and it is possible to explore the city, although there will be no Pedestrians or Traffic, although parked cars and Gang Operations remain. After obtaining an aircraft, it is possible to observe the falling boxes and vehicles used in the mission.
Phillipe Loren: "Please. I am Belgian!"
Johnny Gat: "So make yourself a fuckin' waffle. We're done here."
— Cutscene while tied up
- ↑ GameSpot Plays Saints Row: The Third (Xbox 360)
- ↑ Title as listed in the Achievements list
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Saints Row: The Third - Freefalling (Official Trailer) - YouTube, retrieved 15th September 2011
- ↑ We're Leaving Today: Paul Louis Reeves: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads