- Street version of the SMG trades portability for longer effective range.
- — Weapon Description
The Heavy SMG is the slowest firing SMG and is slightly less effective at close range than the Rapid-Fire SMG and Alien SMG, but as a result is more effective at longer ranges due to it's slightly better accuracy and is easier to control. It's slower rate of fire helps with ammo consumption but still has a reasonable fire rate, so ammo can be wasted if not careful, which is especially true if dual wielded.
The Heavy SMG is the descended equivalent of the TEK Z-10 from Saints Row: The Third, as both weapons are the slower firing weapons in their class with the ability when upgraded to lay down accurate fire and inherit damage over time attacks that can panic enemies. Like the TEK Z-10, the Heavy SMG is intended for a much more balanced application of firepower in comparison to the Rapid-Fire SMG and Alien SMG.
Accuracy, Clip Size, Damage, Reload Speed can all be upgraded 5 levels each, with a separate Acidic Ammo "ultimate upgrade".
- The Spec Ops SMG is used during "Zero Saints Thirty" but is never unlocked.
- The ZPD officers tend to carry Heavy SMGs.
- Available at Friendly Fire at the beginning of the game.
- Most accurate SMG
- Lowest recoil SMG
- Acidic Ammo upgrade can panic foes by burning them in acid
- Acidic Ammo upgrade allows to bypass ZinTek Force Shields, burning them in acid
- Less ammo consumption than the other SMGs
- Very high DPS when Dual Wielded with all upgrades
- Slowest rate of fire of all SMGs, making it less-useful at close range
There are 5 costumes for the Heavy SMG: Spec Ops SMG, SWAT SMG, Gangland, Rubber Band Gun and Hillbilly.
|Spec Ops SMG||Skin|
|Digital Camo||(Unused skin)|
|Black and White|
|Rubber Band Gun||Skin|
- The Gangland shares a similar appearance to a Thompson submachine gun (also known as a Tommy Gun) and the description of the Default Gangland skin is a reference to the Valentine's Day Massacre, where the Thompson submachine gun was used.
- The SWAT SMG and Spec Ops SMG resemble a silenced Heckler and Koch MP5 SD2 as the weapon has a fixed buttstock, a 3 position trigger group that has a fully-automatic fire mode, and an integrated Supressor, making a less pronounced firing sound and lacks the muzzle flash when fired, a trait shared with the Full Choke Silenced.
- The Spec Ops and SWAT SMG Costume names reference the real-life MP5, which is a popular weapon used by military special forces and police SWAT teams.
- In reality, dual wielding Heavy SMGs would be impractical due to the weight, size and possibly recoil of the gun, as a single MP5SD2 would weigh around 6.8 lb/3.08 kg. However, the Gangland SMG/Thompson submachine gun would be even worse as the gun is even more heavy (10.6 lb/4.8 kg or 10.8 lb/4.9 kg), is much larger and generates more recoil from it's ammo type.
- The description for the Rubber Band Skin Bloody Band is a reference to A Christmas Story and the Red Ryder BB Gun.
- Shaundi (Normal, Fun and Future), Asha Odekar and Tanya Winters carry Heavy SMGs when called in as Homies.
- The BG-40 bears a strong resemblance to the MP40. The "BG" stands for Brady Games as it is part of the Brady Games pack.
- The BG-40 re-uses the firing sound of the Gangland SMG costume.
- The BG-40's Paint gun costume description is a reference to Mafia II, where if a colour is changed, the mechanic says: "Pick a colour, any colour."