It's a well known fact that Wikia never bothered to complete these "New" forums.
Wikia have now decided that instead of finishing it, they're scrapping it and replacing it with a new feature which looks like twitter.
All wikis that use the New Forums will be automatically switched over to the new "Discussions" feature. As such, I will be transferring all existing New Forum threads back to the old Forum, and disabling the New Forum.
I will be performing the transfer via import, so that all usernames and timestamps will be correctly attributed to the poster. All previous old-style forum posts which were transferred to blog posts will be transferred back to the old-style forum.
I will be fully-deleting all previously soft-removed off-topic comments ahead of time, as there is no way for me to automatically determine whether a comment has been soft-removed when performing the transfer.
Wikia has not yet revealed their timeline, so there is no immediate rush, but I will likely be performing this migration within a month or two.
Users are welcome to continue posting to the forum up until the migration takes place - the transfer will be done semi-automatically on the final day, so no "new" posts will be lost.
(last edited: 452, 2016-10-03T19:41:01Z)
- Update: the hardest part of the forum-reformatting script is complete.
- The next step is extensive testing.
- 452, 2016-10-05T14:04:14Z
Testing has revealed a minor problem, which I knew about in the beginning: getting the revision order correct. My draft notes acknowledged the problem, but then my implementation kinda skipped over that issue. But I'm glad the problem occurred the way it did, because it was obvious to notice, and if it had failed silently, I may not have noticed it.
- Edit: Nope, I implemented my original idea correctly, revision order is correct, the problem is just nbsps and other &s
- And, as usual, non-breaking spaces fuck things up completely, so I need to replace all special characters.
- Luckily, I can copy and paste my htmlentities.js script - but the point is that I shouldn't have to clean up junk left which should have been encoded when the page was saved.
- 452, 2016-11-03T19:08:52Z
- (last edited: 452, 2016-11-04T00:05:46Z)
- And we're back. I'll recategorise all posts manually before deleting the New forums. -452 11:34, November 5, 2016 (UTC)
For anyone interested, here is the list of transfers:
- Thread:28985 - Forum:New forums!
- Thread:29158 - Forum:Snatch difficult?
- Thread:29168 - Forum:Taking Pictures In-Game: SR2
- Thread:29226 - Forum:"Member of the Row" T-shirt
- Thread:68013 - Forum:Additional moderator rights
- Thread:68024 - Forum:Random/Specific Tab loading
- Thread:69367 - Forum:"unlockitall" cheat
- Thread:69474 - Forum:Enabling Syntax Highlighting
- Thread:69622 - Forum:Zombie Uprising
- Thread:69742 - Forum:Disabling Syntax Highlighting
- Thread:69773 - Forum:April Fools' day 2015
- Thread:69910 - Forum:Category Exhibition disabled
- Thread:69911 - Forum:Blank Notification Emails
- Thread:70191 - Forum:Future DLCs ?
- Thread:70623 - Forum:Wikia layout changes
- Thread:79251 - Forum:Obtaining Tornado in "Revelation"
- Thread:79620 - Forum:Trouble uploading characters from Saints 3 on Xbox360
- Thread:79798 - Forum:Saints Row 2 Bear variants
- Thread:79914 - Forum:Saints Row DLC re-release
- Thread:80636 - Forum:URL Structure Change
- Thread:81176 - Forum:To all mobile skin users
- Thread:81824 - Forum:White screen on launch
- Thread:82126 - Forum:Special:NewFiles Highlighting
- Thread:85281 - Forum:Blank screen bug/muted cutscene voices
- Thread:86303 - Forum:Changing "Description" headings to "Overview"
- Thread:88880 - Forum:Reference marker style
- Thread:89518 - Forum:April Fools' day 2016
- Thread:90093 - Forum:SR1 Gankster pack
- Thread:90276 - Forum:New Translation request template
- Thread:90392 - Forum:License plate
- Thread:90443 - Forum:Inactive user image policy
- Thread:90449 - Forum:Anon editing disabled (temporarily, now enabled)
- Thread:91576 - Forum:Subtitles in screenshots
- Thread:91591 - Forum:Need help with references
- Thread:93284 - Forum:Discussions and the future of the Forum
- Thread:93441 - Forum:Lazy loading and the future of blogs
-452 17:09, November 5, 2016 (UTC)
Now that all threads have been transferred and sorted, all the threads have now been deleted. -452 17:37, November 5, 2016 (UTC)
- I believe I have now updated all links to Special:Forum, and Board:whatever - it may be possible that I missed one or two, I'll do a recheck once the database dump updates
- I've also created redirects for all of the old Thread links, so that all external links are honoured. -452 21:26, November 5, 2016 (UTC)