Now that all Special:Forum posts have been moved to the Forum: namespace, and all blog posts have been moved to the Forum: namespace, the next obvious step is to move all Message Wall threads to User_talk pages.
I've mentioned several times in the past that I regret ever enabling Message Wall, but that we were stuck with it because it would mean losing access years of messages. But now, that issue has been solved, as my Forum migration script can easily be adapted to transfer Message Wall threads.
There are several issues I must first address:
- Renamed users - this may or may not be an issue, but I need to investigate it.
- Walls which only contain a welcome message - I will be deleting all non-replied welcome message threads ahead of time,
and adding the welcome message to all User_talk pages ahead of time also.
- Note: On second thought, the welcome messages are best added at the same time as importing the converted messages.
Since there are many more Threads than Board_threads, this will be a significantly larger task, and may take longer to determine that there are no bugs before performing the transfer.
Also, since editing a User_talk page generates a notification, I definitely need to ensure that there will not be any problems.
With both the forum and blog transfers, there are minor issues where pages with too many revisions crashed my browser, so transferring my own message wall is likely to be an arduous task.
As I said, this will likely not happen for a while - probably more than a month. Feedback is always welcome. 452 15:08, November 21, 2016 (UTC)
- As previously announced, I have begun deleting all welcome message threads, starting with the ones left by User:GlitchBot. -452 15:44, April 27, 2017 (UTC)
- Due to a small oversight, I mistakenly deleted 112 messages which shouldn't have been deleted. However, I saved the database dump prior to starting, so will be able to reconstruct the deleted messages. I will be performing a full review of all threads I have already deleted to ensure there were no other mistakes. -452 15:34, April 28, 2017 (UTC)
- The good news is that I didn't mistakenly delete 112 messages. The bad news is that I've found a lot of old orphaned messages. -452 16:36, April 28, 2017 (UTC)
- Now all unreplied welcome messages have been deleted, here are the counts:
- Threads: 2151
- Replies: 4285
- -452 17:51, April 28, 2017 (UTC)