? marked, ? minimum kills
- The Carnales were the first organized gang in the city. The way Julius tells it, they owned the whole damn town until Benjamin King stepped up against them. [...] Now add in that the Carnales are backed by the largest drug cartel in the world, and I think you'll understand why we're gonna play this safe instead of pullin' a Johnny. We cut off their income first, then we go for Hector. Sound good?
In the first mission of the Carnales story arc, Dex meets The Protagonist at the church. He introduces The Protagonist to the history of the Carnales, the key figures in the gang (Hector Lopez, Angelo Lopez and Victor Rodriguez) and, along with the Colombian drug cartel, their rule over the drug trade in Stilwater. Dex explains his plan to cut off the Carnales' income: The Protagonist is to cause chaos and destroy two small drug labs while Troy looks for the main drug lab.
The Protagonist obliges and quickly destroys the two small drug labs.
The following text has been transcribed verbatim from the game files.
It can be read in-game upon completion of the mission by pausing the game, and selecting 'Story' from the 'INFO' tab.
- Go to the Carnales' drug labs and destroy their equipment.
- HUD: Labs Left: 2
This mission is available anytime after completing the 3rd Street Saints prologue mission "Reclamation". As the first mission in the Carnales story arc, it is an easy mission; requiring travelling to two destinations and destroying a drug lab at each location. The Carnales gang members offer little resistance.
Upon completion of the mission, two neighborhoods are unlocked located nearby the drug labs : The Mills neighborhood at the Factories District and the Southern Cross neighborhood at the Barrio District.
- Main article: Newscasts
- Jack Armstrong: "I'm Jack Armstrong. It was raining syringes today on the east side. For details, we go to our Jane Valderamma."
Jane Valderamma: "First one, then two, drug labs blew sky-high in the territory controlled by the Hispanic gang known as Los Carnales, today. The buildings themselves were reduced to rubble, and the drug-making and drug-using equipment inside was destroyed. Police did not allow any press near the burned-out buildings as they were processing the scenes for evidence. Eye witnesses I spoke to described a lone bomber who made small work of the series of attacks, and whose identity is, as yet, unknown. Reporting from the newsroom, I'm Jane Valderamma."
Jack Armstrong: "Thank you, Jane. We await word from Stilwater police on their policy for cleaning up the area of both drug debris and gang member activity. It's not safe out there folks. We'll bring you the details at the top of the hour. I'm Jack Armstrong."
- Dex mentions that the Carnales "were the first organized gang in [Stilwater]". This is repeated in Audio Tour at the Stilwater Memorial Church in Saints Row 2, who provides further explanation about Alejandro Lopez's gang and its history with the Vice Kings, as well as Stilwater's general history.
- Some of the missions in the Sons of Samedi story arc in Saints Row 2 follow a similar concept of raiding buildings and destroying small drug labs.
- Two neighborhoods are awarded for completing the mission, rather than one.
- By the time Saints Row 2 takes place, the building has been torn down.
- Both buildings are accessible, and the lab equipment present, at all times before and after this mission.
- Sup it's Dex... takin' apart the Carnales ain't gonna be easy so whenever you're ready hit me up at the church.
- — Dex, pre-mission phone call, after earning enough respect to play a mission.
"First Blood" cutscene Edit
- Dex: "Oh, hey man, didn't hear you come in. Check this out."
Dex: "The Carnales were the first organized gang in the city. The way Julius tells it, they owned the whole damn town until Benjamin King stepped up against them. Tell ya what though, I ain't worried about their history so much as I am the fact that A: the Lopez brothers are crazy muthafuckas, and B: Victor, their enforcer, survived a dozen VK drive-bys."
Dex: "Sounds pretty bad right? Now add in that the Carnales are backed by the largest drug cartel in the world, and I think you'll understand why we're gonna play this safe instead of pullin' a Johnny. We cut off their income first, then we go for Hector. Sound good?"The Protagonist nods their headDex: "That was a rhetorical question, but thanks for your support."
- — "First Blood" cutscene
- I got Troy goin' into Carnales territory to find out where their main plant is, but I already know where to score product. They have labs here, here, and here. Taking them out should distract the Carnales long enough for us to find out where they're making this shit. Let's get to work.
- — Dex unused line, listed in the Message Log of the "First Blood" cutscene