This subject requires more information. You can help by editing this page.
Civilians (or Pedestrians) are randomly generated NPCs who are made for the sole purpose of being the innocent people who populate Stilwater. They all behave in a unique matter, some resorting to violence, while some flee from a crime scene or harassment. There is an estimated 6,000,000 total residence of Stilwater.[reference?]
Although seen on the mini-map as red dots, Pimps behave like regular civilians unless assaulted by the Protagonist. Once hostile, Pimps behave like enemy gang members, with reinforcements arriving after a few are killed.
When the Protagonist provides a Compliment or Taunt towards a civilian, the civilian will compliment back or initiate a fight, respectively. Civilians usually need to be taunted twice before they will fight, and sometimes they will run away instead. Drunk Civilians will attack the Protagonist, even if complimented.
Each civilian comes from a certain type, where each type has its own "list" of generated NPCs.The following is a list of civilian types:
Saints Row Civilian Types
Saints Row 2 Civilian Types
- Business People
- Construction Workers
- Flight Attendants
- Football Players
- Roller Skaters
- University Students
- Hillbilly Bum
- Veteran Bum
- Insane Bum
When in proximity of the player, civilians will mention their opinion about something. Usually related to the player's progress in the game.
Saints Row 2
- "Shogo should have been honoured, only the purest of our coven are allowed to be buried alive." 
- Many of the lines for the "Hillbilly" types are actually direct quotes from popular country songs, such as Folsom Prison Blues, Give My Love to Rose and It's Five O'Clock Somewhere
- A number of lines from Male Otakus and Male Junkies make references to other games. Examples being "Are you an otaku, too?" and "I need scissors! 61!", which both hail from the Metal Gear Solid series.
- When "Goth" males are found in Friendly Fire, they are holding a Vice 9, commenting that "This should have more black."
- I will show you prison mentality! (Whenever a prisoner fights with the boss.)
- To the north west of the Price Mansion crib, a Civilian will sometimes commit suicide off the cliffs.
Saints Row 2
- Easily found around Stilwater, a couple will be found embracing each other on a bench.
- Almost every pedestrian found handing out flyers will have the "Hillbilly" voice type.
- Some Civilian quotes reference the pseudoreligion called "Philosotology", which is also mentioned by the Protagonist, and Forgive and Forget.
- A strange action with bums and hobos is that if you initiate a fight next to them, they may start taking pictures with a cell phone ignoring that they are poor or broke.