- Higher grade rifle with upgradable scope.
- — Weapon description
- I think the upgrade path for the AR-55 is one of the more satisfying and rewarding paths of all of the weapons. Starting as a standard 3 round burst assault rifle and ending up with basically a 5-round burst assault rifle with very little recoil and a highly increased zoom.
- — Seth Hawk
The AR-55 is the standard-issue assault rifle of Steelport's National Guard and SWAT teams. Unlike the K-8 Krukov, the AR-55 is a military-assault rifle, boasting a burst function as opposed to firing on full-auto. This saves ammunition and makes the AR-55 much more accurate than its predecessor, the AR-40 Xtnd. It is easily acquired by salvaging one from SWAT or National Guard units, or it can purchased from Friendly Fire for $10,000 after The Belgian Problem. By default, the assault rifle is fitted with two scopes, a vertical foregrip, weaponlight and fixed carbine stock.
The AR-55's burst-fire makes it more suited towards engaging medium and long-distance targets, in contrast to the full-auto K-8 Krukov, which is more suited towards close-quarters combat. It also boasts the highest per-shot damage of the assault rifles (not including the Viper Laser Rifle when upgraded), making it extremely useful as a marksman rifle when upgraded with a zoom scope.
Every time the AR-55 fires, it fires an entire burst, which is inefficient when dealing with multiple targets. It also has a short downtime between bursts, during which the AR-55 cannot fire at all.
- Excellent accuracy and range, even with no upgrades
- Firepower is quite high
- Zoom Scope when upgraded
- Fair-sized magazine
- Conserves Ammo With Burst fire
- Fires only in bursts, cannot single-fire or auto-fire
- Lag between bursts
- Multiple bursts required for a single kill
- Poor against multiple targets
- The burst fire mode requires tactical thinking when fighting multiple enemies.
- Main article: Weapon Upgrades.
- The AR-55 resembles a highly customized AR-15, with a duck bill flash suppressor, tan Magpul furniture including a CTR stock, PMag, and MIAD pistol grip.
- The AR-55's dust cover opens and closes after each case has been extracted, while firing the AR-15 in real life does open the duct cover when fired, it does not close automatically after each round fired and needs to be closed manually.
- The AR-55 has a similar name to the BR55HB SR Battle Rifle in Halo 2 and 3, they both fire in short bursts rather than being fully automatic, and have a scope, but are otherwise completely different, aesthetically.
- The level 2 upgrade does not visually alter the rifle.
- Although it has a scope attached by default, it cannot be used until it's upgraded to level 4.
- Angel De LaMuerte uses this weapon during Return to Steelport and when called in as a homie.
- When an NPC picks it up a dropped Level 4 AR-55, it has a laser effect similar to the McManus 2015 .
- When an NPC picks it up a dropped Level 2 AR-55, it fires in bursts of 5 rounds instead of the default 3.
- When stunned or knocked down before a burst is completely fired, the AR-55 fires the remaining shots within the burst automatically.
- The AR-55 is in PAX Demo for Saints Row IV inside Friendly Fire.
- When wielding the fully upgraded version of the weapon, enemies will refer to The Protagonist (or any NPC that's also using Level 4 of this weapon) as a sniper when in combat.