|Information about this subject was added before the game was released.
- "Higher grade rifle with upgradable scope."
- — Weapon description
- "I think the upgrade path for the AR-55 is one of the more satisfying and rewarding paths of all of the weapons. Starting as a standard 3 round burst assault rifle and ending up with basically a 5-round burst assault rifle with very little recoil and a highly increased zoom."
- — Seth Hawk
The AR-55 is the standard-issue assault rifle of Steelport's National Guard and SWAT teams. Unlike the K-8 Krukov, the AR-55 is intended to be a battle rifle, boasting a burst function as opposed to firing on full-auto. This saves ammunition and makes the AR-55 much more accurate than its predecessor, the AR-40 Xtnd. It is easily acquired by salvaging one from SWAT or National Guard units, or you can simply just buy one.
The AR-55's burst-fire makes it more suited towards engaging medium and long-distance targets, in contrast to the full-auto K-8 Krukov, which is more suited towards close-quarters combat. It also boasts the highest per-shot damage of the assault rifles (not including the Viper Laser Rifle when upgraded), making it extremely useful as a marksman rifle when upgraded with a zoom scope.
Unfortunately, all of the above comes at a price - every time the AR-55 fires, it does so with the implicit intention to fire its whole burst, which can be inefficient when dealing with multiple targets. It also has a short downtime between bursts, during which the AR-55 cannot fire at all.
- Excellent accuracy and range, even with no upgrades
- Firepower is quite high.
- Zoom Scope when upgraded
- Fair-sized magazine
- Lag between bursts
- MUST fire in bursts, cannot single-fire or auto-fire
- Must shoot multiple times for 1 kill.
- Poor against multiple targets
- Main article: Weapon Upgrades.
|1||$10,000||"Higher grade rifle with upgradable scope."|
|2||$10,000||"Increase burst size."|
|3||$20,000||"Increase the size of your clips."|
|4||$40,000||"Sniper scope increases zoom distance. Extended barrel increases damage and reduces recoil."|
- The AR-55 resembles a highly customized AR-10, with tan Magpul furniture including a CTR stock, PMag, and MIAD pistol grip.
- The second upgrade does not visually alter the rifle, hence the image above only showing three upgrades; they would more correctly be numbered 1/2, 3 and 4.
- The AR-55 may be a reference to the BR55 Battle Rifle in Halo 2 and 3, as they both share similar naming conventions, fire in short bursts rather than being fully automatic, and have a scope. However, the two weapons are, aesthetically, completely different.
- Even though it has a scope attached by default, it cannot be used until it's upgraded to level 4.
- Angel De La Muerte uses this weapon during Return to Steelport and is his weapon of choice when calling him as a homie.
- If the player switches out a Level 4 AR-55 with a dropped weapon, and an enemy picks it up, it will have a laser effect similar to the McManus 2015 .