|3rd Street Vice Kings|
|Story arc||Vice Kings|
|Cutscene(s)||• "Frame Job" |
• "Boiling Point"
|Objective(s)||• Earn some police notoriety to get the media's attention. |
• Go to the retail District and start killing shopkeepers.
• Head to the bowling pins downtown.
• Knock those pins off the pedestal!
• Get a bulldozer.
• Get behind the statue of Alderman Hughes.
• Knock that statue down!
|Reward(s)||• Nob Hill neighborhood, High End Retail District |
• XX/XY Hoodie
|Stronghold unlocked||"King's Grocery"|
- "King's obviously got somethin' goin' on with the police. I'll figure that shit out. In the meantime I want you two to go out and cause some havoc. If we can turn the public's eye to the Kings then the police won't have a choice but to come down on them."
- — Dex to Johnny Gat and The Protagonist, at Sloppy Seconds in Harrowgate.
Dex has a plan to force the police to put pressure on the Vice Kings, which involves Johnny Gat and The Protagonist dressing as Vice Kings gang members and running riot in Stilwater, all while gaining the media's attention.
After donning the Vice Kings' yellow colors, The Protagonist and Johnny Gat drive downtown, where they kill shopkeepers, knock over giant bowling pins, and destroy The Pride of Stilwater. Dex's plan is successful, and the police are forced to apprehend some Vice Kings. Later that day, Benjamin King assures Richard Hughes that it was the 3rd Street Saints who were responsible. Warren Williams complains about King's friendship with City Hall and brandishes a GDHC .50, stating that it is firepower, and not politics, that gives them power. King, taken aback by Warren's disrespect, promptly tells him to "get the fuck outta [his] office".
The following text has been transcribed verbatim from the game files, and can be read in-game upon completion of the mission. To do this, pause the game at any time during gameplay, go to the 'INFO' tab, and select 'Story'.
In order to pull the attention of the Police away from the Saints, Dex came up with the idea of having you dress in Vice Kings colors, and going to cause some destruction all around town. You really did a number on the city, all in the name of the Vice Kings. Hopefully, the media coverage will force the Police to turn their attention to the Kings and lay off the Saints.
The player starts the mission at Sloppy Seconds in Harrowgate, and is required to gain two units of police Notoriety. The most obvious way to do this, of course, is to murder any civilians walking around. Killing police officers will boost Notoriety significantly. Also note that 3rd Street Saints will not be immediately hostile, but the reticle will go red when aiming at them regardless, and Johnny Gat will have no problem with killing them. Unlike the previous mission, the player is not penalized for killing fellow gang members, but it will not raise Notoriety.
Once the Notoriety has been raised, drive to Nob Hill and kill the shopkeepers inside Shear Intensity and Impressions. Be wary of the police and try not to get busted, especially when entering vehicles. The player will now have 3 units of Notoriety.
Now drive towards the giant bowling pins marked on the map. Get some speed and use the ramp to direct the car into the pins, knocking them all over and gaining 4 units of Notoriety in the process.
For the final objective, the player is required to get in a marked bulldozer and knock over an Atlas-esque statue of Alderman Richard Hughes holding the Earth on his back, called The Pride of Stilwater. Johnny will get into a nearby Backhoe and follow the player, but will stop being a Homie so he cannot be abandoned (thus the player doesn't need to stay close to him). There is a Forgive and Forget on the way to the statue, and while it does work, it shouldn't need to be used. To destroy the statue, simply plow into it with the bulldozer; despite what the objective says, the player doesn't need to get behind the statue beforehand.
- • Cash: None
• Respect: None
• Achievement: None
• Neighborhood: Nob Hill
• Mission: Round Peg, Square Hole
• Stronghold: King's Grocery
• XX/XY Hoodie
- Main article: Newscasts
- During the mission
- Jack Armstrong: I'm Jack Armstrong in the newsroom. This just in from the news desk: Glenview Hills seems to be the target of gangland warfare today as elements from the hoodlum gang known as Vice Kings are rampaging through the district as we speak. Reports indicate that everything is fair game and nothing is safe; storefronts smashed and firebombed, vehicles being destroyed, pedestrian traffic getting caught up in the violence - do not, repeat, do not, enter this area until the police have had a chance to quell the uprising. Repeating: Glenview Hills is under attack by the Vice King [sic] gang. If you are there now and are hearing this report, take appropriate safety measures. We will have a live report from Flying Officer Mike McCabe with the Stilwater Police Department in our Eye-in-the-Sky Chopper 2 as soon as he can get airborne. And we will keep an eye on this developing story here in the newsroom. I'm Jack Armstrong.
- After the mission
- Jack Armstrong: I'm Jack Armstrong in the newsroom. We now have more details on the massive attacks in Glenview Hills today; as promised, Flying Officer Mike McCabe of the Stilwater Police Department is now in our Eye-in-the-Sky Chopper 2. What is the situation like now, officer Mike?
- Mike McCabe: Chaos, Jack, pure chaos. I'm circling over Glenview Hills as we speak, and the sight of burned-out cars, smashed storefront windows, dead bodies waiting to be toe-tagged - although it's hard to tell the bodies from the mannequins yanked from the fashion stores, Jack - it's like a warzone. While I am privy to some information given to us at the station on a need-to-know basis, we still are not quite sure what the flashpoint was for the Vice Kings' rampage. Now we do know that the Glenview Hills area is somewhat back to normal as the cleanup begins, Jack.
- Jack Armstrong: Any word on when the shops will be back open for business, officer Mike?
- Mike McCabe: Well, er... we're not sure, Jack. There's a lot of work to be done and shopkeepers and citizens alike here are keeping an eye out for any further activity as they sweep away the mess and try to get back to living their lives. From the Eye-in-the-Sky Chopper 2, this is Officer Mike McCabe. Jack.
- Jack Armstrong: Flying Officer Mike McCabe of the Stilwater Police Department over Glenview Hills. We'll bring you details on this story as they happen. In the newsroom, I'm Jack Armstrong.
"Frame Job" cutscene Edit
Johnny Gat: "That sounds like a plan to me."
Dex: "Yeah, a shitty one, as your whack ass robo-leg clearly proves."
Johnny Gat: "Oh, fuck you."
Dex: "Next time you try that cowboy shit, you might not walk away at all."
Johnny Gat: "No, seriously, fuck you."
Dex: "Look, I worked out a plan that will hurt the Kings and put minimum risk on you."
Johnny Gat: "How much murderin' do I get to do?"
Johnny Gat: "Your plan blows."
Dex: "Hear me out, alright? King's obviously got somethin' goin' on with the police. I'll figure that shit out. In the meantime I want you two to go out and cause some havoc. If we can turn the public's eye to the Kings then the police won't have a choice but to come down on them."
Johnny Gat: "Okay, so we go and do some damage. How do the VKs get blamed?"
Dex: "Put these on."
Johnny Gat: "I'm yellow enough as it is, Dex."
Dex: "Just put the damn shirt on."
Johnny Gat: "Fine. [To The Protagonist] Get dressed. We got a little peace to disturb."
Johnny Gat: "Let's get started. The first thing we're gonna do is torch a couple stores."
Johnny Gat: "Whaddya say we head downtown and show 'em what we think of modern art?"
Johnny Gat: "Let's hit that ramp and knock those pins out."
Johnny Gat: "One more thing, let's find a bulldozer, there's somethin' that I'm just dyin' to do."
Johnny Gat: "I'm getting real sick of hearin' Hughes run his mouth. I think it's time to thank him for his gift to Stilwater."
"Boiling Point" cutscene Edit
Warren Williams: "Great, now we got yo' crack ass friends trippin'. Like I said, fuckin' with City Hall is a waste of time."
Benjamin King: "Wrong. Workin' with them is what gives us power."
Warren Williams: "Yo, fuck that. This is what gives us power."
Benjamin King: "Get the fuck outta my office."
- During the Newscasts played during and after this mission, Jack Armstrong refers to Nob Hill as "Glenview Hills".
- The Pride of Stilwater is likely a reference to Atlas of Greek mythology, a Titan who was forced by Zeus to carry the Greek god Uranus (as the sky) on his shoulders, away from the Earth, after being defeated. It is commonly misinterpreted today that he had to carry the Earth on his shoulders.
- The Pride of Stilwater can be knocked down with explosives, such as a Platinum RPG.
- The XX/XY Hoodie that is unlocked after completing this mission does not appear on the unlock screen, and is placed in the Wardrobe.
- ↑ Cutscene: Frame Job
- ↑ Cutscene: Boiling Point
- ↑ Mission strings: MSN_VK06A_GAT_DISMISS=Johnny was abandoned.
- ↑ Mission strings: MSN_VK06A_GAT_DEAD=Johnny was killed.
- ↑ Mission strings: MSN_VK06A_NEWS_DEAD=You let the media die!
- ↑ Mission strings: MSN_VK06A_BULLDOZER_DEAD=Your bulldozer was destroyed!