It can be started by using the Television in any Crib, and at arcade machines in several bars and clubs around Stilwater, but the game cannot be played at those locations before unlocking the Red Light Loft.
The objective is to kill 345 zombies. There are 6 Waves, in each round the number of zombies to kill is indicated by a number on the HUD.
There are several different types of zombies.
- Regular Zombies - they bite, hit and can run or walk. Main type of zombie, present at all levels.
- Large Zombies - Massive Headless Zombies who appear in Wave 2. Tougher than regular Zombies, they cannot be killed with a headshot, but also cannot bite. Their head is not fully severed, and is hanging down their back, but shooting it has no effect.
- Flaming Zombies - Running Zombies who are permanently on fire who appear in Wave 3. They can not die from the flames, but can set other Zombies alight, killing them.
- Exploding Zombies - Small, coal black zombies who appear in Wave 4. These fast Zombies explode when they get too close to survivors or the player. If exploding zombies are set alight, they explode.
Zombie Uprising arcade machines
- Merhman's Night Club - Mission Beach, Saint's Row District
- Crash Landing Night Club - Hapton Hotel, Huntersfield, Airport District
- Gas Station (near Freckle Bitch's) - Sommerset, Apartments District
- Porno Palace - Bavogian Plaza, Red Light District
- Stilwater University Student Union, Stilwater University, Stilwater University District
Locations without machines
- It is likely that there was originally supposed to be an arcade machine present, but when the model was removed, the invisible trigger was left behind. The Courthouse and Airport locations both have pretzel machines nearby, and these are the only known locations of pretzel machines.
- Inside Wardill Airport, Wardill Airport Neighborhood, Airport District - 2 locations, both at pretzel machines.
- At the southmost point of the building, outside a store named "Jive Turkeys"
- Between gates C4 and C6
- Rounds Square Shopping Center - Nob Hill, High End Retail District - Above Friendly Fire, outside the "Pecker Wood" store in Rounds Square Shopping Center. There is no machine, there is an area near the railing which shows the prompt.
- Courthouse - A prompt is shown when standing next to the pretzel machine.
- Collect all weapons immediately.
- There is limited ammunition available, and melee weapons break after several uses.
- The chainsaw can only be used on Normal Zombies.
- There is a mini-gun at the top of the stairs on the balcony on the right.
- Rescuing survivors does not change the outcome of the game, as they are relatively weak, but they do provide a distraction.
- When the player character is set on fire, it is possible to set zombies on fire.
- The stairs can be used as a bottleneck.
- Zombies grab, and bite, causing a large amount of damage, and are only escapable via Quick Time Event.
- Zombies can not climb
- Jump on a grass patch with a wall in front of it.
- The area that is on the left of the stairs has 4 or 5 ledges.
- The fountain is filled with damaging toxic waste, but the center of the fountain has a safe area.
- To the right of the stairs at the opposite side of the spawn zone are steps that the player can stand upon and be safe from harm. When standing on the third step and close enough to the railing, the zombies swarm on the stairs in a pack. They are close together that a flaming zombie burns all the other zombies.
- Activating cheats before entering the game causes them to be active while playing Zombie Uprising.
- The setting for the game is Old Stilwater, an area which can be explored outside of the Zombie Uprising game.
- Regardless of The Protagonist's gender in the main game, the character in Zombie Uprising is always a male biker.
- Taunts and Compliments can still be used, and use the selected voice option.
- The achievement is named after George A. Romero, famous for his zombie movies.
- In Saints Row: The Third, there are Zombie Uprising 2 arcade machines inside the Broken Shillelagh, but they cannot be used. They can sometimes be found next to Saints Row 3 arcade machines. These models are re-used in Saints Row IV.
- In Saints Row: The Third, the same zombie models are used as mannequins in Let's Pretend.
- It is possible to glitch out of the Zombie Uprising map, by enabling Never Die, Infinite Ammo, and Low Gravity cheats.
- Obtain grenades
- Stand by the a red arrow billboard
- Throw 2 grenades on the ground, and jump to be launched onto a ledge
- Stand in the corner near the left, and throw 2 more grenades down, and jump to be launched into the roof.
- After fall off the roof and through the map, Stilwater has no cars or people, and Crib functions are not available.