|Story arc||Westside Rollerz|
|Cutscene(s)||• "Turning on the Heat"|
|Objective(s)||• Come in first to win the race. |
• The taunt meter will fill when you're close to an enemy.
• Stay close to the driver to taunt him.
|Reward(s)||• Chinatown neighborhood, Chinatown District|
|Stronghold unlocked||"Pleasant View Storage"|
- You did good, but I'm not through with you yet. Those cars you stole have been rigged to blow once the engine reaches a high enough temperature. I need you to make sure those cars get nice and hot. There's a race going down in Chinatown tonight, and I think you should give them some tough competition. I know these guys. If you're in the lead for the final stretch, they're gonna hit the nitrous to blow past you. When they do, boom. As soon as those cars are wrecked, get the hell outta there. You're no good to us dead.
Lin meets The Protagonist in secrecy yet again, this time dancing in a nightclub, and congratulates them on a job well-done regarding their work on the previous mission, "Stacking the Deck". She says that after The Protagonist delivered the vehicles to Samson, he loaded them up with explosives, before delivering them to the Westside Rollerz, who were none the wiser. The explosives in each vehicle are detonated when the engine reaches a high temperature, which can only be achieved when nitrous is activated. Conveniently, a race is taking place nearby, and Lin instructs The Protagonist to take part - if he can hold steady in first place, the racers will activate their nitrous in an attempt to take over and win. She then thanks The Protagonist for the dance, and tells them to leave for the race.
Outside the nightclub, Troy meets up with The Protagonist and suggests a better, easier plan: taunting the Westside Rollerz racers into activating their nitrous. They use Troy's car, a Zircon, to accomplish exactly this, and, as Lin predicted, the cars explode.
- Lin doesn't fuck around, does she...
- — Troy
The following text has been transcribed verbatim from the game files.
It can be read in-game upon completion of the mission by pausing the game, and selecting 'Story' from the 'INFO' tab.
At a low-key meeting in a nightclub, Lin revealed that the cars you intercepted were rigged to explode, and then given back to the Rollerz. Your job was to enter their race and make sure the engines got hot enough to explode. In the spectacle that followed, you helped Troy taunt the drivers into detonating their own cars, then made a hasty getaway to the Row when the Rollerz caught on.
As it is only the second mission in the Westside Rollerz story arc (taking place after "Stacking the Deck") the mission is yet another straight-forward one. After watching the opening cutscene, "Turning on the Heat", Troy will pull up in a Zircon. Get inside, wait for Troy to get into the passenger seat, and drive to the beginning of the race.
The player is tasked not to win the race, but to stay close to three enemy drivers as Troy taunts them. As he does, their individual taunt meters fill up - once they are full, the racers will activate their nitrous to pull ahead of the player; a fatal mistake that will cause their cars to explode just moments later.
The race is fairly long, giving more than enough time to taunt all three racers easily. Players do not need to pay attention to the race itself - simply stay close to a driver so Troy can taunt them into activating their nitrous, and repeat twice more. Players are awarded their first Westside Rollerz territory on completion of the level.
- Cash: None
- Respect: None
- Neighborhood: Chinatown
- Mission: Guardian Angel
- Stronghold: Pleasant View Storage
"Turning on the Heat" cutscene Edit
- Lin: "Try not to look so conspicuous."
Lin: "You did good, but I'm not through with you yet. Those cars you stole have been rigged to blow once the engine reaches a high enough temperature. I need you to make sure those cars get nice and hot. There's a race going down in Chinatown tonight, and I think you should give them some tough competition. I know these guys. If you're in the lead for the final stretch, they're gonna hit the nitrous to blow past you. When they do, boom. As soon as those cars are wrecked, get the hell outta there. You're no good to us dead."
Lin: "Thanks for the dance. Now hurry up, you got a race to win."
- Troy: "Hey man, let's get to the race... look, I don't care what Lin says, you get me next to those cars and I'll take care of the Rollerz, to hell with this lap-race bullshit."
Troy: "I don't like the idea of Lin going undercover, you roll with people long enough and pretty soon you start thinkin' like 'em..."
Troy: "[Taunting an enemy] Go back to the suburbs, you prep school muthafucka!"
Troy: "[Taunting an enemy] Tell ya what, you ask nicely and I'll let you wash my car on weekends..."
Troy: "[Taunting an enemy] Don't even bother tryin' to catch up!"
Troy: "[Taunting an enemy] You're outta your league, kid!"
Troy: "[Taunting an enemy] You Rollerz are a fuckin' joke!"
Westside Rollerz racer: "[Before activating their nitrous] See ya at the finish line, bitch!"
Westside Rollerz racer: "[Before activating their nitrous] Works every time..."
Westside Rollerz racer: "[Before activating their nitrous] See you at the line, chump."
Troy: "Lin doesn't fuck around, does she..."
- Lin states that the race takes place in Chinatown at night, despite the fact that it clearly takes place in the Suburbs, Arena, and Apartments Districts at any time of day.
- The subtitles in this cutscene say "nitrous", but Lin actually says "NOS", which is another term for nitrous oxide.
- The player can destroy Troy's Zircon with no penalty. However, it is not recommended unless the player specifically wants to use a different car.
- The race uses the same route as the Level 8 Westside Rollerz Racing Activity.
- Troy refers to the race as "lap-race bullshit"; a lap race is when racers drive around a track multiple times - this is a checkpoint race.
- Troy notes his concern over Lin being undercover, stating, "you roll with people long enough [...] you start [thinking] like [them]". Troy is later revealed to be an undercover cop at the end of the game, giving this line some ambiguity; he may be worried about Lin thinking like the Westside Rollerz, and, perhaps, he's worried that he's thinking like the 3rd Street Saints.
- Players do not actually need to drive in between the flaming barrels - taking part in the actual race is completely optional.
- The weapon wheel is locked out once the race begins, preventing the player from firing.
- ↑ Cutscene: Turning on the Heat
- ↑ Mission strings: MSN_WR02_FAIL_DRIVER=You attacked the drivers before the race started.
- ↑ Cutscene: Salting the Earth